New here

• 13 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hello I have been diagnosed with Grade 2, ER7 Her2- breast cancer in my right breast. Lumpectomy and lymph node removal surgery booked for next Friday. Sorry we are all here but lovely to be part of a supportive group 

• Hi Bertiesmam

Welcome to the forum. I had that op last Wednesday. Recovering well. Not as bad as I had envisaged it in my head. More discomfort than pain, but we are all different. Good luck with your op wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• I am pleased to hear you aren’t in any pain. I think waiting is the worst part. Hope you are resting and recovering well xx

• Yip the waiting between appointments seems long. I am resting up. Happy to have the lump removed now. Fingers crossed move on to rado therapy next. Not sure how long between op and that starting is. I hope you are taking care of yourself also xx

• Fingers crossed you find out soon! Do you have to wait to see how successful the op was before they tell you when you start? Xx

• I get the results of lymph biopsy on 20th if they are clear treatment is radiotherapy and hormone suppressant.

If they are positive then another op to remove the lymph nodes, chemo then radiotherapy and hormone suppressants.

Fingers crossed its the first option xx

• I hope so! Got everything crossed for you xx

• Hi Bertiesmam,

I had a lumpectomy nearly two months ago and two lymph nodes removed. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. I’ve had great care both in hospital and afterwards, but you must help yourself to heal too. You will be given arm exercises to do and you must persevere with them, but don’t overdo it, just do a little more each day. This is important as like me, you may get chording and lymphoedema which is common after breast cancer surgery - doing the exercises really help with both of these.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as possible can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Bertiesmam. 

I had the same op as you a month ago 15mm lump and 11 lymph nodes removed, and as a not very patient patient, have had to realise that I can't do what I've always done for a while.  Boobybabe2 has given such good advice and I agree the exercises do help so much. I'm still having underarm soreness but it's improving every week. 

Another thing I've done is to go back to my hobby of Diamond art with a plan to actually start selling some of my pictures and other projects while I'm off work and have the time to do them. 

All the best for your op and your recovery. Two hearts

• Had telephone call tonight a week early to tell me I need chemo before radiotherapy. They said tumour grew from 2cm to 4cm at op and had broken off into surrounding tissue so grade 111 aggressive. Haven't stopped crying or catastrophic since. Can't get the word aggressive out my head. Will hopefully feel better once I speak to oncology and plan next stages of treatment xx

• I’m also impatient so good to know I’m not alone! I’m hoping to be able to start exercising my arm ASAP to help Healing so glad it’s working for you!
    take care and happy healing with your diamond art! HeartHeart