Newly diagnosed

• 2 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hello everyone, I have just found out I have early onset breast cancer. Even with word early in the diagnosis  I am all over the place. I live on my own,  A Kiwi /British hybrid living in the Philippines and trying to navigate the Healthcare here. It might be fast, but there's no team around me, I have to find everyone myself.  I'm struggling with the diagnosis itself, let alone contacting oncologists and surgeons and the rest. My mental health is going to need looking after. 

• Hello Jintyj,

The forum on this page can help support you. Lots of individuals with similar health issues and concerns for both physical and mental health.

I would suggest liaising with the doctor who gave you you're diagnosis to signpost you to all the service providers where you live. I'm not sure what services are close by you but your medics can help with contact numbers and addresses.

Take one step at a time. We can fight this xx

•  

I had a lumpectomy nearly two months ago and two lymph nodes removed. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the

Hi Jintyj,

Macmillan site, you will find a lot of good helpful advice n here. I’m not sure how things work in the Philippines, but do get in touch with the Doctor who made your diagnosis, they should have given you  some leaflets and information about what is happening and what they are going to do. The number for Macmillan here is 0808 808 000, not sure what the dialling code is from the Philippines, but try it, they could steer you in the right direction.

Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., iit stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as possible can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx