Miss overwhelmed

• 1 reply
  • 484 subscribers

New here today…I’m 3 weeks post lumpectomy with mammoplasty.. grade 3, invasive ductal carcinoma. iv got to have surgery again due to precancerous cells in the margins and told I’m high risk for chemo therefore my biopsy has been sent to America for a decision. Results next week. Interms of the 2nd surgery today iv been told I could opt for radiotherapy boost without surgery even though margins not clear.. I’m so confused scared and overwhelmed I’m struggling to make an informed choice.. I know I need to be positive and I am trying but how do I decide for the best?  

• Hi Angela O,

I had a lumpectomy nearly two months ago and two lymph nodes removed, I start my radiotherapy next week. I know mine is slightly different from yours and do hope somehow you are able to make the right decision.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and I think will be able to give you lots of great advice about this. Also, just in case, they do walks, talks and lots more general activities which may help you. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You ay also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this and only wish I could help you more. Always remember, you are never alone and can come and chat to us shower in here at anytime.

Wishing you loads of love and luck, take care and big hugs.xxx