Not just Cancer

• 4 replies
  • 457 subscribers

I’m new to the forum, as of today.  I toyed with the idea of joining a month ago.  But thought, ‘ I won’t need  a community , I’ll have this lump out,bish- bosh, I’ll boss it . Bit of therapy, back to my real problems ’.

Then the word Tumour turned to the word Cancer.  Then the choice of Radiotherapy turned to Chemotherapy.  And now I am here, on a forum, and I’m not sure what it will achieve.  I’ve never known anyone with Cancer.  It’s not in my family.  I don’t understand the drugs names and abbreviations used so easily in other peoples posts, as though we should all know already.                                                                      

And when I say I wanted to return to my real problems, I meant it.  I’ve other problems that I prioritised over this.  I have more problems than I could deal with, as it was.  I have rather slowly realised, here in this forum, is that it’s the same for a lot of us.  Our problems are not only The Cancer.  Now Cancer is in addition to my problems.  Like, Cancer would have be enough.  So, I don’t know how I feel.  

• Hi BunnyBoo

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer. It’s not unusual for treatment plans to change. Not knowing how to feel is perfectly understandable as there is no right or wrong way to feel about a cancer diagnosis.

Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi BunnyBoo, welcome to the forum. It's great that you're here. Sorry to hear that you've had this diagnosis. I believe that feeling overwhelmed is almost to he expected,  receiving a breast cancer diagnosis is no easy thing.

When I first learned of my diagnosis,  I too felt that life had dealt me a cruel blow. I'd already overcome many struggles and finally come through to the other side, finding peace and happiness. I'm 58 and I was really enjoying life, doing the happy youth I missed out on and looking forward to the future.

It feels like in a heartbeat, everything changed. 

Now 3mths post diagnosis and 3wks post bilateral surgery. I can feel my body healing and getting stronger each day, maybe it hasn't let me down after all.  I am feeling like I can do what's necessary. 

Whatever you feel, it's ok. Be gentle with yourself and do whatever works for you to get through this very difficult time. It sounds like you have coped with much already, you can do this.

Sending hugs 

• Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

I also in my 50’s Feel half that age because I don’t feel that since the age of 22 my life ever went in the direction I was choosing for it to go into.  Good choices turned into catastrophic events and I feel like I was just seeing the best therapist who was guiding me to do stuff just for me.  Now I’m on hold. Again. I feel robbed, again.  So it’s great that you shared that you are doing well and you understand the bewilderment that comes with the ‘ my God! How can I have this now!’ moment. 

• How wonderful that you found a therapist you feel you can work with. I hope you can continue your therapy during this process. I have found mine invaluable since diagnosis. Sending positive healing  toughtsCherry blossom