• 9 replies
  • 455 subscribers

Hi there

i was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with breast cancer and secondary in my lymph nodes after having my first mammogram. 
i had surgery 2 weeks ago (mamoplasty and lymph node removal) . Pathology had found another small tumour but all within margins. Now waiting for the last of my results to come back so chemo can start. 

So far I have felt nothing but grateful. I’ve not felt upset about anything at all. I’ve never got upset with anything. I do wonder if it may just hit me …..but I’m honestly not sure. 

• Hi Badgere, welcome! I only joined yesterday myself.

Sounds like your treatment started pretty quickly after diagnosis, well done to your medical team!

You seem to be coping well. I too have wondered whether I should be melting down, I was diagnosed 1mth ago and had a mastectomy and lumpectomy (bilateral) on the 16th. 

I've been relatively ok emotionally,  feeling as if I can do what's required, even though it's tough. I know I'm the kind of person who can generally keep a cool head but I've never had cancer before!

I'm trying not to question my reactions too much and stay in the moment, not always possible. 

Wishing you well with your results and next stage of treatment. Peace V tone5 

• My wife got her diagnosis 2 days ago after being unwell for about 4 years and losing so much weight. Unfortunately she has 3 limps on the beast and one on Lymph nodes and three on the lungs. She is so unwell in bed 24/7 and weighing 6st 3lb. Longs story to why NHS failed to detect it earlier but she is too ill now for Chemo or surgery that she needs. 

I joined this group for ab outlet and to see other people's experiences. Can't fault our Breast Cancer team and Macmillan Nurse. 

• Dear Newbie, I too lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago, from 15 stone to 10 stone, for no apparent reason. In fact I still look like someone from  Belson,.

I dont want to hold out false hopes, and I know we are all different, but when I discovered a lump in my breasf last September, I was considered too old,and with too many other problems ( co morbidities) for chemo or radio or  surgery.

But lu ckily it was oestrogen sensitjve so I wS immediately put on a hormone tablet called  Letrozole.

At 3 month checkup it had shrunk from 31 mms to 19mms and at 6 months to 8 mm, And I am. beginning to put on weight again.

I also am a Reiki practitioner and have a friend who is too, so we also zapped it daily, which may have helped, It comforted us both anyway while waiting for results.

Macmillan nurses also were a wonderful support.

Sending you and your wife  lots of love, and support, from Silverspiral

• Hi I sometimes felt like I wasn’t feeling and reacting how people expected me to. I was told the cancer was fully treatable from the start, which made me very optimistic and I was very grateful it had been caught early. I have cried a couple of times. Just before going into hospital and after 7 days in hospital when they said maybe I couldn’t go home after all, luckily they changed their mind on that one! It is ok to feel however you’re feeling, everyone is different. 
    Take care

Jen.

• There’s no right or wrong way to be feeling. I was diagnosed a month ago and had a mastectomy with lymph node clearance. Wairing to start chemo. Overall I’ve managed to cope ok so far and only had a couple of episodes of being upset. It’s good to have a positive mindset and be grateful to be alive and that it’s treatable 

• Thank you for your story. I feel that everyone expects me to be a mess and I’m just not. I couldn’t feel any lump even though 31mm and the new found lump at 15mm. I just fee really grateful. 
    Hope you are doing well x

• I also didn’t feel a lump even though they said it was quite big. I only noticed a previous lump I had which was benign. The main reason why I saw the GP was because my breast was red and inflamed. 

• I am doing very well thank you. No lumps could be felt, it was all picked up in my first mammogram and subsequent biopsies. I’m now 13 weeks post mastectomy and reconstruction. 3 weeks post radiotherapy. Yeah I got the impression people expected me to be a mess too. 
    Take care

Jen