New breast cancer diagnosis

• 8 replies
  • 455 subscribers

Hi  Wave 

I’ve recently been diagnosed with breast cancer on my right side with recommended treatment of mastectomy and reconstruction. I’m also getting a biopsy on my left side on Tuesday to find out if a 50mm suspicious area is also a concern.

I’ve been recovering from Long Covid for over 3yrs now so I’m not feeling at my strongest physically which is a frustration. I initially completely fell apart due to my long Covid symptoms being the same as if the cancer had fully metastasised. Early indications are that it hasn’t spread but this can’t be confirmed until lymph nodes are removed and tested during mastectomy. We have an 8yr old daughter so I’m open to any and all treatment that will give me the best chance to be here for her growing up. 

Sending love and best wishes to anyone also going through this journey.

Jo

• Hello Jo, welcome, sorry that you find yourself here .

You will find lots of support and information.

Have you had an MRI ? The lymphs can be checked on that . 

I may be different as I had a lumpectomy . The MRI and ultrasound said no lymph involvement and the pathology post op confirmed this .

i don’t think they will commit to a treatment plan post op until they have your pathology results , I’m waiting to see the oncologist 2 weeks post op .

The not knowing is the hardest xx 

• Hi Jo I’m sorry for your recent diagnosis and long Covid symptoms. 
    I had a mastectomy on my right side, lymph node removal and tram flap reconstruction in January. The lymph nodes came back clear but they were unsure of the margins in the breast. I have had 4/5 radiotherapy treatments only one to go on Monday! I have an area of abnormal cells in my left breast which they are going to remove in May. So in some ways similar to yourself. 
    What are your reconstruction options?

kind regards

Jen 

• Hi Jen,

I read your post and I noticed that you mentioned you had some positive or border margins after your mastectomy. I had the same surgery last July and 2 of my margins had some cancer cells. I also had chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Can I just ask what your oncologist said about that? My oncologist reassured me and said it should be OK especially after the additional treatment  but I'm still concerned...

Best wishes,

Lana xx 

• Hi Lana my oncologist said there was no indication of cancer in that area but they couldn’t take the margin they would normally take as it was at the side of my breast. Basically they had ran out of tissue to take. She said it was more of a belt and braces approach. 
    kind regards 

Jen. 

• Hi Jo, 

I’ve also been diagnosed with BC on the right side with recommended treatment of mastectomy and reconstruction and awaiting biopsies for something of concern on the left which will happen next week. I’ve been told they think it’s non invasive but can’t confirm until I’ve had my mastectomy and check the lymph nodes. I have a 9 year old and 13 year old who we haven’t told yet as we want to wait until I get the results of the next biopsies first. I can’t decide right now whether to have a reconstruction as it’s hard when I don’t know what’s happening with the left yet. I’m sorry you’re also dealing with long covid. I don’t have it and every twinge is making me paranoid at the moment so I can’t imagine how hard that is. Like you, I’ll take any treatment if it means I get to see my girls grow up. 

Just wanted to send you love.x

• Hi Klf,

Thanks for your message. Sorry that you are also going through this yourself.

Also apologies for the slow response, fatigue, appointments and commitments have really got in the way of me being able to be a part of this lovely supportive community. 

I had a scan and early indications are good in the lymph nodes but they said they need to be removed for testing to be able to get a better 95% surety that it hasn't spread.

I hope you had some positive news from your results. x

• Hi Jen,

Thanks for your message. Sorry that you are also going through this yourself.

Also apologies for the slow response, fatigue, appointments and life commitments have really got in the way of me being able to be a part of this lovely supportive community. 

I'm booked in to have a double mastectomy with implants reconstruction on Thursday (9th May). Biopsies confirmed 2 x stage 1 areas on my right side plus cancer cells (non invasive) in the 5cm area of concern in the left side. I was given the diep flap or implant reconstruction options. 

I noticed your profile said you're going in for the removal of your abnormal cells on your left side soon. I hope that all goes well for you. x

• Hi Jo I hope everything goes well on Thursday for you. I’ll be thinking of you. I have my other operation on the 14th. I had my pre op last week and the nurse told me it’ll be nothing in comparison to what I’ve already been through. Hopefully when I recover from that I can finally get back to work. Take care. 
    Jen.