• 2 replies
  • 460 subscribers

Hello Everyone 

I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer in my left breast. Had two biopsies but they have said they need to remove my breast. So had my pre op yesterday unfortunately I can’t have reconstructive surgery due to me being diabetic. Been having loads of strange thoughts going round in my head about living life with one boob. 
Got 3 sons and a fantastic husband supporting me. Told my family but not one has been to see me. Had a quick text then nothing. 
Won’t know if I need any other treatment until two weeks after the mastectomy 

• Hello so sorry to hear about your breast cancer diagnosis. Glad you have a very supportive family. I had a left breast mastectomy 15 months ago followed by chemo and radiotherapy. It took me a while to work out what to do with the gap. Some days bra other days no bra. I also have sons so it was important to me that I looked normal in front of them until about 4 months ago when I realised they didn’t notice or even care if I was lopsided. So now I go for comfort. I recommend finding a good sports bra and just do what’s comfortable for you. As for family not getting in touch I have a sister who can’t talk to me since my cancer diagnosis so I don’t waist my energy on people who can’t cope. Fingers crossed you won’t need any further treatment. Good luck. 

• Hi, sorry you find yourself in the club no one wants to join.  Did they explain to you why you need a mastectomy and not a lumpectomy?  I had 6cms removed to include 4 tumours.  My margins weren’t clear so I needed a 2nd operation.  My surgeon was happy to do a lumpectomy or mastectomy.  I asked if I had a mastectomy would it reduce the risk of the cancer returning.  He said no the only negative is if the margins arent clear he would have to do further surgery.  I asked him how many surgeries before a mastectomy and he said it depended on the size of breast.  Have you considered asking for a second opinion on either the mastectomy or reconstruction.  Some family and friends don’t want to get upset in front of you as they don’t want to upset you.  I took social anxiety because of the lack of company.  I wish you all the best on your journey but do what feels right for you.  Xx