Scared, am I making the right decision?

• 6 replies
  • 486 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed with breast cancer a month ago. Had lots of tests and it became clear that I had 4 tumours in the centre of my right breast. I have been told I need a mastectomy. Tomorrow I have to tell the surgeon which reconstruction option I want to go for. I feel that I should go for a DIEP flap reconstruction but I'm scared of it being major surgery. It's so hard to decide. I can't get over the feeling that I am going to mutilate my body. Has anyone else had experience of this? Is it the right choice?

• Hi Winjess

It's such a hard decision isn't it?  So sorry you're struggling with the decision.  I decided against Diep, I didn't want to have such a long operation, I would have loved to have a more natural looking breast though.  I opted for implant which has been great, but following radiotherapy is now starting to get more firm.  So in hindsight, maybe I would have been better going for the Diep.  Also at the time the surgeon said I wasn't a good candidate due to being fairly slim (her words not mine).  Maybe I'll go back in the future and have it done.  Good luck with whatever you decide xx

• Thanks for replying Lullabelle

• Most important thing is that the horrid big C will be gone, whatever you decide - sending hugs x

• Hi Winjess,

To me it was the right decision. I had a mastectomy with a DIEP reconstruction on 10th July 2023. I was terrified prior to my surgery, googling like crazy and having the same thoughts you are having right now. My plastic surgeon was brilliant - I am now 58 and my whole abdominal area has never looked better. The scsr is really long but already hardly visible. It is very smooth and I cannot even feel it. I will have a symmetricalisation surgery most probably end of August. The reconstructed breast looks really natural and apart from the small scar, I would never tell it was reconstructed. Like I said, my plastic surgeon was brilliant. Recovery was OK, the first week after the operation was difficult but things improved quickly and by the end of week 4 I was feeling almost like the usual me. This is just my personal experience. Follow your instincts and ask all the burning questions you might have - both nurses and doctors will be more than happy to help you make the right devision. I wish you all the very best with your surgery and treatment!

Lana xx

• Oh thank you Lana, that makes me feel a lot better!

• Hi Winjess

I am in the same position 4 tumours in right breast and need a mastectomy. I am also very unsure about the reconstruction. Did you have it done a and what was your experience