Auxiliary lymph node dessection

• 5 replies
  • 486 subscribers

Hi 

So I got my results back from my lympectomy... tumor removed and margins clear but lump was larger than expected 60mm and one lymph node has cancer.  They now want me to do an Auxiliary lymph node dessection next week.

Then 6 months chemo and then radiotherapy.  I feel like it is all moving too fast. Has anyone had this done? Have you still got full use of your arm back how did you manage to sleep after the surgery with the drain in? 

Why do they take the nodes if just going to blastConfusedhem with the other 2 therapies.  I am so confused Confused and sad and scared.  

Has anyone said no to chemo? 

Thanks

Liz

• Hi Juice bubbles I can't answer all your questions as my breasr cancer is very different to yours. I have had a 10cm tumour removed by masectomy and am having radiotherapy soon.i didn't have lymph node surgery but you will have to rest your arm (Surgery side) for a few weeks x

• Hi Liz

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I had all the nodes taken from my right arm last September as there was cancer in one of my lymph nodes. I didn’t have any problems sleeping with the drain in. They give you arm exercises to do after surgery to help regain the use of your arm after surgery.

The reason they give you chemo and radiotherapy is to give you the best chance of the cancer not coming back. While I won’t say chemo is easy, it is doable. You will get medication to help prevent side effects. You could give chemo a try and if it becomes too much for you you can always ask to stop.

Wishing you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Liz,

I had a lumpectomy on my left breast and a masectomy and full lymph node clearance on the right side. I am not going to lie and say I wasn't glad to see the back of the drains (one lasted a week, the other two weeks) but I was able to sleep with them in, I just had to negotiate the best place to put them. I am now 6 and a half weeks post op plus day 10 of EC cycle 1. I have completed my arm exercises as instructed and have now got virtually full use of my right arm. Little things like towel drying my hair would need to be thought about a couple of weeks ago whereas now I can do it easily and with my right arm. I still have some numbness at the top of my arm but I am pleased with how quickly my body has recovered from the surgery. I didn't have reconstruction as I did not feel the need to replace the breast. I am quite happy with my falsey.

My side effects, so far, with chemo have been better than expected and I feel more prepared for cycle 2 as I know what is happening. From October until treatment plan day (8th January) it seemed to go slowly but since the 8th January, treatment has been moving quickly and I really feel things are accelerating. Chemo and radiotherapy are used to prevent cancer from returning so I think as much as it sounds scary, it was a no brainer for me.

Good luck with your treatment plan x

• Hi Juicebubbles

I had exactly this a couple of years ago - I won't reiterate the good advice you've been given already, but I was completely in shock when the sentinel lymph node came back positive.  I then had a full node removal and even though I'd convinced myself it was going to be more bad news, no more nodes were positive (they took 30 in total so all three levels taken).  18 months on it is slightly tight some days under my arm but I just do the exercises and it relieves it, no lymphoedema either.  I am careful with that arm, but I still exercise, carry things (not too heavy).  For me, I'm glad I had the removal knowing for certain it was only in one node. Sleeping wasn't too bad, just had to sit propped up for a bit and the drains were ok xx then chemotherapy for belt and braces and glad I did, you just get through it xx good luck with your treatment xx

• Thank you - wanting on my PET scan and results so held off my Auxiliary lymph node removal for now... 

You have a great attitude and am sure that is what makes the difference!! X