Complicated situation

• 10 replies
  • 488 subscribers

Greetings all,my name is Caroline Iam 68 years old,here is a brief view of my situation. I had a full mastectomy right breast 11th December 2023,sample was sent for oncotype test 17th January.weanwhile GP sent me for a ct scan which I had on the27th December, a large mass was discovered on my left kidney,I saw the urologist on the 2nd of January he confirmed it was cancer and that the kidney would be removed within a month..I went for my 1st follow up after mastectomy and was told I would be referred to the oncologist.nothing happened despite numerous attempts to contact all the relative departments. I eventually saw the oncologist 14th February. My breast cancer was grade4,chemo was suggested but due to nothing being done about the kidney cancer the door is closing for chemo to be effective. I just don't know where to turn,please if anyone can shed some light for me I would be most grateful as I  am at my wits end.many thanks Caroline. 

• Oh how awful for you. I don’t understand why on earth you have not had follow up re your kidney! I can’t see why you can’t have a discussion with Oncologist re Chemo to hopefully reduce the kidney and breast cancer before kidney surgery. 
    Don’t give up, make all the necessary noises for someone to listen.

Sending a massive hug Hugging xx

Alfie 24

• Thank you so much Alfie,your hug has been received with gratitude, I am keeping myself on the radar and will not give up.lt is awful that anyone going through the trauma of cancer has to keep on chasing everything, it is people's lives they are dealing with and all we want is to be kept in the loop xx

• I am so sorry to hear the awful situation you're in. Sorry I can't give any really useful advice except to agree with alfie24, and ask LOTS of questions, chase them DAILY, question everything they say. Ask them (the oncologists) why you can't start chemo, what negative effect it would have on your kidneys. Sorry I can't shed any light on your situation, but make sure they hear your questions and answer them.

The VERY best of luck. Massive hugs xxx

• Totally agree. But if I hadn't phoned daily, I would still be waiting for my mastectomy which I had 2 weeks ago. Its wrong but we have to fo whatever we have to. Best of luck. Xx

• Sending you lots of hugs and positive vibes your way Heart 

• It does sound like the pieces haven’t been joined up. The piece of missing info is whether the mass n the kidney is secondary breast cancer, primary kidney cancer, or something else. It sounds like the oncologist is working on either knowing or assuming it’s the first of these, in which case the priority would be to treat you systematically. Do try to talk to both doctors and check they are talking to each other.  How awful for you, I hope you can get answers, make progress. 

• Greetings thank you for your response to my dilemma, the kidney is a primary cancer not related to the breastx

• Hi  , sorry you find yourself here and with such a complicated and frustrating situation. I’m wondering if it would be worth contacting PALS? It sounds like things are not being ‘joined up’ by the 2 teams ie those dealing with the breast cancer and those with the kidney cancer. Sadly I think this is not uncommon; I have a dear friend who had a recurrence of ovarian cancer as well as a brain tumour. Both hospitals seem excellent in their way but communication between the two is a huge problem. She is stuck in the middle. My other suggestion is to phone the helpline here at MacMillan as they must have dealt with this situation and could have some useful advice. I hope you can get some answers very soon, so worrying and frustrating. Love and hugs, HFxx 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • If it's a primary kidney cancer sky are they not removing it? Surely stage 4 would be if it was breast cancer in the kidney,  and they'd be less likely to remove it.  Maybe phone PALS on Monday,  but chase things with your hospital team too. If you have the NHS app it might be possible to see letters sent to your GP from the hospital and some results. Go to health records,  test results  in so sorry to hear what has happened to you:( xxxx

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
  • So sorry you find yourself in this difficult position. None of what you say sounds good enough. I would definitely agree about contacting PALS. I've used them more than once - not about cancer, re my MiL and when my husband had a stroke. They were really helpful both times and 'got things moving' very quickly.

Sending hugs.