Bra advice

• 7 replies
  • 483 subscribers

I have recently been diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer, after a brief discussion with the doctor, he thinks a total mastectomy will be best.

Everything seems to be running at a fast pass, so I want to be prepared. I have looked on line but there are several different types of post surgery bras and don't want to purchase the wrong one and need to quickly get the right one. 

Thank you 

• Hi there, I had a wide local incision with lymph node clearance and was told that an unwired, firm supportive bra was fine, no particular "post surgery" bra required.  However if you speak with the breast care nurses they usually have a bra consultant who can measure you and advise you?  So much will depend upon your actual surgery plan, ie aesthetic flat closure, reconstruction immediately or preparation for later reconstruction etc, I would give them a call to get expert advice?

Sorry I can't offer a solution and hope all goes well with the surgery.  I have had immense difficulty in finding an appropriate bra but that is because I am a 46J.  Have found "my" bra now, Gemm high impact un-wired sports bra with an additional bra adjuster strap across the back, but it has been a long job, needs to be right to prevent pain and lymphedema.

Best wishes

BexF

• I just bought couple of NON underwired, NON padded cotton support bra. My reconstruction nurse said sometimes nursing bras work or m&s sell post operative bras. Front fastening always easier too. The hospital measured me up for one and put it on me the day after the op. I just found out they only have them cos the team raised money to buy them!!! The hospitals on is the best. Unfortunately no labels to see where  they're from. Defo get a bigger size than you would normally due to swelling. I got mine from Asda 2 Pack - cheap, temporary. Will need to get new ones once things settle and 1 breast adjusted. 

Hope that helps. Best of luck. Hugs xxx

1. Hi. You should have an appointment with a breast care nurse who will advise you on this. 6ou will get a bra for free and prostheses too. 
  • It takes ages to find the right one, well it did for me but I had a full node clearance and have a lumpy scar. 

The clinic supplied me with a post surgery bra and prosthesis, but have found the m and s ones better for me.

A sports bra with no fasteners, and often they have pockets for  prosthesis, would be my first choice for starters.

Don’t buy too much too soon, it takes a while for everything to settle.

x

• Thanks for the advice and recommendation. 

• Hi Sarah67, it is a great thing that you want to prepare, I had my diagnosis in November and my mastectomy end of the year. It depends if you have reconstruction, so the best thing is to speak to the breast CNS for that. From my experience, it needs to be non wired, front opening with eye and hook and most importantly and what I didn't know one to two sizes bigger than your current one- if you have reconstruction, as there is going to be significant swelling post op. Cancer Research online shop has good quality bras. The best of luck and warmest wishes to you!

• Thank you for your reply. 

X