Bisdiphosphonate infusion

• 18 replies
  • 486 subscribers

Hi am new to this forum.  My name is Dee and am nearly 75. Had double mastectomy last June followed by 3 weeks of radiotherapy therapy in September /October with no real problems. I then had an infusion of bisdiphosphonate in November, since when I've had various aches and pains in bones, underarm and various other areas in the upper chest on the same side as the infusion.   I saw my GP and was referred back to my surgeon just before Christmas.   He didn't find anything amiss, but I'm still having issues.  I am due to have a further 5 more treatments over the next 3 years, but it has severely impacted my quality of life.   Has anyone on here had similar problems and if so was any relief found?

• Hi Dee, 

I have been taking Bisphosphonate tabs for 3 mths, Tamoxifen for 1 yr. I have had bone pain in a few different places. Ribs, back, jaw and wrist. Due to reflux and heartburn I had to stop. Might take it back IV although I'm not 100% sure it's right for me. I have osteoporisis of my wrist. I feel the main thing the oncos care about is keeping us alive. Which is good for us but also for the stats. I'm pleased I have got this chance to have more time but wish there was more dialogue about side effects s end choices. 

• Thanks for your reply.  My bone pain which was awful for the first month or so has more or less disappeared but other pains are continuing  I'm struggling to decide whether to continue with treatment bearing in mind that even assuming the problems I'm having clear up soon, I could be in pain for 50% of the time for the next 3 years.

• Hello, my name is Karen and this is my first in any forum.  I get zoledronic by IV for the first time this month. Scared to be honest. They say it’s to stop it spreading to the bones. I know not everyone gets side effects. I can only agree with Sabrina on the onc. I wish there was an honest discussion between quality of life v years. Like many of us I was fit, active and well before chemo, surgery and radiotherapy. Not much help on this thread right now but I’ll keep you posted. 

• Hi Karen  From what I've read, the problems I've had are unusual.   Good luck with your treatment!!  I would recommend painkillers before bed if you do feel any symptoms afterwards.  The actual infusion wasn't painful and didn't take long.
  • They did take my concerns seriously though. My GP wanted me to go to A & E in case the sternal pain was heart related. It was only there for one day. I had an MRI spine because of back pain. I am more concerned it doesn't come back than too worried about side effects. I already had painful knees at times and mild degenerative changes. One Oncologist said to me, although you have pain it won't make the condition worse. I am 67 yrs old. My grandmother had already been dead for 10 yrs by this age. I do feel lucky to have this help. Just want to be able to stay active and enjoy life. 

Keep using the GP to keep them in the loop, they do have something to offer. It took me a while to do this. I worked in health all my working life and feel that we have to help them to help us. Do they measure kidney function for those on Bisphosphonates? Thank you, it is useful to have this dialogue. 

• Hi Dee and thank you for your reply. Very kind and helpful. You have such hard decisions to make and I can only hope your pain and problems improve soon. Good luck!

• Hi, I’m on IV bisphosphonate (last one will be in May). You have to have a full blood test a few days before your infusion. The request form is issued by Oncology. I’m guessing that kidney and liver function is checked, as well as a lot of other things. 

• Thank you Dee, Sabrina and Cloudier. 

Yes, I will get bloods taken a few days before to check kidneys etc are ok and I expect to have a base line too. I’ve read hydration is important which of course relates to the kidneys. The onc hasn’t actually said how long I will get this for but imagine will be for a few years

• I was prescribed six infusions, but I know it can vary. 

• My current GP has been great  she’s helped me manage my neuropathy and I will take your advice to keep using her. The first GP at the same practice misdiagnosed secondary in the lymph nodes. So on a plus my new GP is great!

My knees historically aren’t great and I already have discomfort in my hips. I’ve put them through a lot of wear and tear to be fair. But I’m only 57!