New here

• 5 replies
  • 486 subscribers

Hi all, I have 3rd chemo session coming up next week, have had a month off as had surgery due to infection an feeling normal again so absolutely dreading it, feeling very down atm an  hard to talk to family and friends as just feel a bit of a burden off that makes sense , they don’t understand an don’t want to worry them anymore than they are so thought I’d join here an have a little rant to ppl that in same boat as me xx

• welcme, sorry you are here, but yes we all in same boat hugs

• Hi, welcome to the club no one wants to join, it’s a great place for getting support or having a rant of any size!

It’s hard enough to go through all this but you are not alone. Maybe you could find out whether there is a local support group, your bc nurse might be able to help put you in touch. 

I have found this community really helpful, there’s always someone listening and who have been in the same position or have felt the same. There is the macmillan service too, they have a support line, counselling and a buddy service, I guess it’s about what works best for you.

Good luck with the rest of your journey xx

• Hi LadyBee

It is so hard keeping it all in but I know it is hard to share too as it can affect your loved ones.  Maybe try journaling and writing down the crapness of the situation then read it back as though you are a friend of the author, helps get the feeling out and gain distance/perspective a little?  We all need a rant though and here's a good place as we get it!

Feeling low comes to us all in this rollercoaster, you are no burden to those who love you, it is a natural feeling about the loss of control and autonomy, I know I struggled with it too, still do some days.

I use a traffic light system so I can tell my family if it a green day - good to go, feeling positive, relatively well; amber day - bear with me as things take longer, usual performance cannot be expected, fatigue or pain affecting me; or red day - feel crap, might be physical or mental pain, I need TLC but also time to rest, bear with me as this too shall pass.

Helps the family adjust to the daily situation and nobody is walking on eggshells (including me!)

Have been to a support group this morning at the local St David's Hospice drop in centre and feel much better for it, just having face to face contact with people going through many life-limiting illness/treatments gives me a boost each week and some structure, have managed to attend most weeks, at my worst they sent a wheelchair out to the carpark for me when chemo was really rough, elevated with me when chemo ended.

I enrolled on the Look Good Feel Better tutorials on skin care, hair care, make up and styling.  Seeing others online also feeling crap but wanting to feel better was inspiring and it was something I could do by myself without a family member having to help.

You will find the things that get you through the day, maybe a silly word game on your phone, an audiobook or magazine subscription, binge watch Call the Midwife, light an incense stick and meditate or eat lots of cake, whatever works for you xx

Sending a big hug xx

BexF

• Hi and sorry you have had to join our group, but it is an extremely supportive group. I got lots of practical advice from reading other threads and loads of emotional support too, when I've had a rant or feeling guilty or confused. It really is a roller coaster of a journey so be kind to yourself and NEVER feel guilty, or silly about saying or asking anything here...its all important and you would be surprised how many will have gone through what you are at some stage.

Sorry I can't give much practical advice, but I've read others responses with some great ideas.

Massive hugs. Xx

• Awww big hugs to you. And rant all you want here! There’ll be hard days and even harder days - but you’re doing great and all this just means you’re one step closer to recovery!