Chemotherapy

• 11 replies
  • 484 subscribers

So I seen my consultant today, iv been told I will have my first chemotherapy once every 3 weeks for 3 months... then I'll switch to a different chemo every week for 12 weeks. I really wasn't expecting it to be so intense and I really don't know what to expect! Then after all of this I'll be having surgery followed by radiotherapy! I think iv been pretty ignorant to what is going on the last 6 weeks and today it's hit home a little! 

• Hi Becs, its all a bit of a shock i know. I think the first few months are the worse. We  are so worried to start with i dont think we can take it all in. As to what to expect we are all different on how we deal with any treatment, some better than others. Try not to listen to everybody different experiances just concentrate on yours. As we know chemo can be difficult for some but i found i took each one as it came and dealt with that session only. Just because one session might be a bit rough it does not mean they all will be, there could be other issues on that particular day. The nurses are great and any problems can be sorted so try not to worry to much. When your treatment starts you will feel less anxious and it will all be explained to you as you go along. I have said it before to people on here after every blood test, scan, chemo session, surgery and operation i have given myself a reward it can be anything that makes you happy. Sometimes for me it as been as simple as a Mcdonalds to a very nice coat ones when i had a mastectomy i needed more than a burger that time haha. I wish you all the best in your treatment ahead xx

• Thank you so much for your positive words!! The treat after each one sounds like a great idea! I'll definitely be doing that one... I think I'm a little ignorant to it all as I'm only 32 with 2 young children xx 

• Hi Becs, I am going to be the same but the other way round. Weekly chemo for 12 weeks and then switch to a different chemo every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. I start on 7th February 

• I am so sorry you find yourself here at such a young age its just so sad. When i was first diagnosed 20 years ago i had a young son so i know how worried you are. You are not ignorant, just new to it all  and there is a lot to take in very quickly. What you have to remember there are new drugs coming in all the time and there is always something available. Like i said i have had cancer for 20 years and i intend to be here a lot longer.xx

• Becs and Whatnext   just one more piece of advice to you both. As you are both new to this situation please take control of your treatments. Get the phone numbers of your oncolgist secretary, all breast care nurses,consultant secretary and anyone else you come in contact with .These numbers are invaluable for further conversations you will be having. Please keep your eye on any results you are expecting and always chase them up to make sure those who need to see them do. I have noticed a change in the last 20 years and we have to take some responsabilty for our treament there are a lot more people to treat now and we are just a number and that is no disrespect to the hard working staff we just need to be more aware. I just want you to get the best treatment as possible. All the best xx 

• Have you thought about the cold cap? I kinda feel like iv just accepted I'm going to lose my hair so very undecided on that! I used to have hair extensions in and they were really thick and long so iv took them out and cut my hair short x 

• It's such an awful thing, currently 3 members of my family have cancer. My auntie on my dads side has just been diagnosed again with breast cancer... life is so unpredictable x

• Thank you so much for that advice! I'm going to get myself a little note book or diary and write down my appointments, with what tests have been done etc then write when to chase the results up thank you for that! Xx 

• Hi Becks sorry to hear you have joined this club.  However we seem on a same course of action - mine was every two weeks for two months, strong medication.  Now its every week for twelve weeks, followed by surgery and radiotherapy.  I was told that the lump was too large to operate and the initial strong chemo in particular was to attempt to reduce the size - which it has done immensely as far as can be ascertained.  The medical profession know their job and so I just let them get on with it, although I do take supplements too such as Melatonin to relax; Burdock tea to reduce inflammation.  If you are very active person like myself, then it best to resign yourself to the fact you are not going to be active very much so prepare yourself with books, films, whatever is your preferance that you can work on seated, thats not to say you will not need exercise to keep the muscles moving, so small walks. etc.   Best of luck and keep us informed.

• How far are you into your journey now? I'm not massively active however I do have a 2 year old boy, I do also have a very good support network around me! Plenty of books already in and also a lot saved on Netflix... 

I hope your journey goes as best as it can for you xx