Struggling

• 9 replies
  • 485 subscribers
  • Hi I was diagnosed with a DCIS and a 9mm grade 2-3 invasive breast cancer this week after routine screening. I am booked in for surgery and will then need a course of chemotherapy. Although I'm trying to remain positive I'm struggling. I know that I'm lucky to have great support around me and really want to stay strong but I feel as though I'm living in a nightmare that I can't wake up from.  

• So sorry you're feeling this way! I was recently diagnosed with HER2 negative breast cancer at 32, I need chemotherapy then surgery followed by radiotherapy! It's so much to take in and process! I really don't think family/partners or friends know how we are truly feeling! Do you have support from the hospital to talk to like a councillor? I spoke with mine the other day and felt a little better after we had spoken. 

It really does feel like a living nightmare however it will all end one day and you will get the all clear! Just go with the motions for now, and allow yourself to feel the way you are feeling! 

Best of luck with your surgery xx

• Thank you Becs and I'm sorry to hear that you're going through your own nightmare and at such a young age too. I haven't reached out for any emotional help from the hospital yet. I only got my diagnosis on Tuesday and am still trying to understand all the terminology associated with this, stage, grade .... etc. Lots of luck and love to you and thank you for your positive words xx

• Hi there,  I am towards the other end of your journey, having had surgery, chemo and radiotherapy.  I am still having treatment via targeted drugs therapy every 3 weeks, Zemeta infusions every 6 months plus Letrazole tablets for 4 more  years.   So it is doable.  Not pleasant, all consuming but doable.

What you are feeling is normal, I would recommend reaching out to MacMillan for counseling as it really helped me navigate the rollercoaster that the next few months will bring.  Family and friends are great but speaking to a trained, impartial advisor brings it's own freedoms.

The best advice I can offer is to educate yourself regarding your individual diagnosis but be open minded and flexible as diagnosis and treatment plans often change at this early stage as more tests are done and more information gathered.  The data is drip fed to you so as not to overwhelm you but it can feel as though every time you have an appointment you are given different information which can feel bewildering.

Keep notes, ask questions, utilize the A-Z of drugs off this site and we forum warriors will do everything we can to support you.  Mist of all, give yourself time and acknowledge that any emotion that you have is a correct emotion and you are entitled to it, do what you need to do - cry, rant, laugh in hysteria (!), whatever is required lol.

There is a lot of support organizations around, a useful job to give someone who wants to help is to get them to do the searching online etc for what is available in your area and collate contact details, days open plus a brief outline of what they offer.  You have so much to do right now, delegate that to someone and it will help them to help you too.

Best of luck and reach out if I can help at all, don't struggle alone xx

BexF

• Hi, it's a really tough time and despite the support from friends and family, it can be hard. Groups like this help as we've had similar experiences.  I do agree with BexF and suggest you give the lovely folks at Macmillan a call and have a chat, and they do offer counselling if you think that would help. The number is 0800 808 0000. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi LGW sorry you find yourself part of this group!

Even if coming on here makes you feel less alone in all of this I think It's a great site.

I still wake up every day (10 months from diagnosis) feeling like it's a bad nightmare! But... You do get used to it. 

Many people have told me one step at a time and even one day at a time and it's true and helps.

I am nearly finished with chemotherapy (fingers & toes crossed) and sometimes I've been brave but oftentimes not! 

Glad you are here reaching out and here if you need a chat xx

• Thank you Jax007 and I wish you the very best after your treatment.  I think that 1 step at a time is great advice as these past couple of days I think I've tried to take too much on board,  surgery, chemo etc and have found that I've spiralled into complete panic, it's all too much. I keep trying to tell myself that although it's going to be tough so am I and I'll get through this. Xx

• I'm sending you my love xxx