Breast cancer and Chemotherapy

• 5 replies
  • 486 subscribers

Had my pathology back this afternoon after a mastectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy on Friday. Confirmed cancer cells in the lymph nodes. The cancer is a lobular cancer which has already been confirmed as Estrogen/Progesterone Positive and HER2 negative. I have been told I will most likely need chemo along with radiotherapy and hormone therapy. I was hoping that the HER2 negative status would mean just radiotherapy. Has anyone else had similar results? I’m worried about how they know chemo would work based on HER2 even if it has gone to the lymph nodes. Also as it’s in the lymph nodes do they test for further spread in the body? Feeling very scared. This has been the worst part of diagnosis and process so far. Seeing my oncologist on Thursday but it feels like such a long wait.

• Hi Giddy234 - sorry to hear the results from your pathology weren’t great.

my cancer was lobular to with ER positive but negative for PR and HER2.  I also had clearance of my nodes at the time of my mx with the majority being contaminated.  The tumour was also large at 10cm.

I did have further tests to check for spread including a CT scan of the thorax to the cervix and a nuclear medicine scan - all came back ok luckily.

Because of the findings, I had to have chemo which I have now completed and radiotherapy which I’m about to start.

As they’ve only done a biopsy on you nodes I can’t comment what they will do next - perhaps someone else may be able to answer this.

Try not to worry and keep yourself busy - Thursday isn’t too far away x

• Hi I am HER2 negative with cancer in lymph nodes.  My lump was too large to operate so two months of strong chemo were provided first - it has shrunk considerably.  I have three more months of chemo, then surgery and then radiotherapy.  Having researched the effects of chemo prior to having it, I knew pretty much what to expect and although a very active person usually, I planned for a spell of inactivity - sleeping possible (I had one session where I slept almost 24 hours); binge watched films for two days, read books when I had the concentration..... I have painted windows.... one a day as opposed to my usual painting a whole room in a day.....so go with your body, it will let you know and will be grateful to you for taking care of it.  Dont fret too much - Oncologist and breast nurses know their job.... ask plenty of questions if you are unsure..... 

• Hi

sorry to hear what you’re going through. I have virtually the same diagnosis, Had an axillary node clearance and after being told it was only in one lymph node I found out from my consultant this week it has spread to 5 nodes with 12 being clear. I’ve found this hard to process, I was really hoping to avoid chemo…that was my fear as I have some other health problems and not sure how I will cope with it. I was hoping with the her2 negative status to avoid chemo but my consultant said she would recommend it to a patient with it in one lymph node and maybe I shouldn’t take to much with it being in 5, it’s just shaken my previous positivity!!

I have been given ct scans on my head, neck and body which thankfully were all clear but my original tumour was only visible on a MRI scan which so was missed on a mammogram several times previously. 

I too have my oncologist appointment on Thursday so hope it goes as well as possible for you. All a bit daunting. I would say have all your questions ready for your oncologist as they will know!

xx

• Hi, Sorry to hear you have breast cancer. I'm also HER2 -ve but having chemo for an area of cancer outside the 3 positive lymph nodes,  meaning local metastasis and a tiny bit at the margin at surgery. I had a PET scan which showed no wider spread and chemo hopefully will keep it that way.They look at many things to decide about chemo, and hopefully the oncologist will explain it all to you. It's normal to be scared. Good luck x

• Hi, the uncertainty and the waiting was the worst for me, but once I had reconciled myself to chemo and treatment started, it became much more manageable and a bit less scary.   You might want to give the lovely folks at Macmillan a call to chat through how you're feeling, they have so much experience to share and you can call them on 0800 808 0000.

I blogged throughout my treatment, but this one in chemo might give you some reassurance. Chemo blog link

best wishes 

Community Champion badge