There are many things I expected...but not this!

• 17 replies
  • 470 subscribers

Newbie here. I did not know that MacMillan had an online forum so set up my own blog when I started on this journey. It is weirdly satisfying about writing stuff down. 

Anyway, breast cancer treatment is underway. Week 4 of 24 weeks of chemo/immuno which provides numerous challenges, the least of which is how tired and sick I feel most of the time.  Felt perfectly well before the treatment started so does play with the little brain cells now that I most definitely do not feel perfectly well.  At the moment I am enjoying 2 or maybe 3 good days a week. 

Was told I might feel sick. Tick. Might feel tired. Tick. Might lose my hair. Tick. And a few other ticks on the very long list of side effects. 

But this situation cannot define me. 

Anxiety is an issue, occasionally. More so when I consider how long 24 weeks is...then there is surgery, then radiation therapy, so maybe more than 40 weeks of treatment. Time flies when busy and happy. Time slows to a ponderous pace when not so engaged in every day life.

I live alone. I don't have kids. I have a tiny extended family and very good friends who are being incredibly supportive. But this is down to me (and obviously the NHS!) to beat this disease. 

I need stuff to do. 

Ideas?

• I could have written all of the above apart from the family part (I have two grown up children). Ideas? Yes, keep doing what you are doing. After the initial shock of being diagnosed with cancer, things are getting back to some kind of normal. New normal, but still normal. We adjust. I did. You sound like a perso who would fight no matter what. I believe this is all we need to do and hope for the best. xx

• Hi you're doing so well I found when I could do this gently pilates, going for a swim check with BC nurse, water colour painting I'm no artist but it's really therapeutic, there are classes you can join check if your hospital has a Macmillan hub. Walking my greyhounds or sitting in the park while hubby walks them. Baking cakes have a afternoon tea fund raiser with family and friends Macmillan will send you a pack I really enjoyed it exhausted but everyone was glad to take part. This is about you so take your time and be kind to you sending you big hugs x

• Yes the Macmillan hub is a great place to find out about. 2 people on my Hope Course had had 5 mths of chemo. One was mud 20s. I am doing a writing course and ithe writing that is helping but mainlyRosehe other women. John the tutor has had his run in with cancer as well. I've done Look Good Feel Better make up session. Now medical acupuncture. They are wonderful, the volunteers and the fact MacmillanRosean have set this up exactly for people like us. Rose

• How life has changed.  You’ve said it.  The pace of life has slowed and there’s too much time to think … and worry.  I agree it’s important to find some enjoyable activities when you feel well enough.  Sounds like you’re doing that already.  If you enjoy walking and like company you may f8nd there’s a local group who go out regularly and it’s really fun to see new routes.  And safer if it’s rural.  X

• Hi onelumportwo. Sounds like you are going through exactly the same as me. I started my first course of a new treatment last Wednesday and I feel dreadful. Not so much sick but the tiredness is the worst. I slept most of yesterday and same again today. My biggest issue is what to eat and drink. My tongue and throat is sore so I am struggling to eat. I have a very small family and small selection of friends. I live with my husband and he tries his best but he has no idea how to look after a sick person. I do dispair sometime. My daughter is wonderful but she works full time and has 3 small children but I don't know what I would do without her and her husband. But  I am very disappointed with my friends that I have known for over 30 and 40 years. There is little or no contact. I don't think they are able to face it but avoiding me is not helping me. I have 1 friend who rings me every day and is my guardian angel. I'm feeling very sorry for myself at the moment and hope I can get come comfort from this site. I wish you luck with your treatment and hope we will be able to keep in touch x

• Omg you sound like you are doing amazing. Unfortunately I am not able to walk to my back gate so there is no way I can go for a walk. I have heard about a chair exercise class you can do online I may give it a go. 

• Thanks so much for your response. I am looking at pilates and yoga but have to be careful because I have a PICC Line. Swimming not allowed.  I am a baker though and have decided to bake on the days when the nausea is under control.  

Walking has to be the go to but its getting more difficult as i get deeper into the treatment programme.  But I shall persevere!!!!

• Thanks for connecting.  I too have heard about the chair exercise class. Anything that keeps the muscles moving has got to be good.  Good luck !!

• Wow...you are diving into it.  I am doing a blog....so writing it down is very therapeutic for me.  Do take a look if you are interested.. https://alisoncmcdougall.wixsite.com/onelumportwo    I have just booked onto the Look Good course in January in Bristol and have been in contact with Penny Brohn in Bristol who offer medical acupuncture too so that should also be interesting. 

• Thanks for your response. At the moment I am walking with a friend or two, who can accommodate my breathlessness and need to keep stopping. But group walking when this is a little more under control would be great. The boredom is difficult to manage...but also what on earth can we talk about when some days are just a routine of sleeping and pooping!!!