Newly diagnosed sleep problems

• 3 replies
  • 486 subscribers

Hi everyone! I’m 37 and was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday. I was exhausted after a day of having to tell everyone (my poor mum Disappointed) so went pretty much straight to sleep, but I had some truly horrific dreams! I’m frightened to go back to sleep! Has anyone else had this? Any tips for getting to sleep and sleeping well? 

• Hi, I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis. After such as exhausting day, it’s no wonder you had disturbed sleep. Now is the time to practice some self-kindness and self-care. Your brain is working on overdrive at the moment. Bizarrely, things often settle once you start your treatment plan. Xx

• Hi SteveW

I’m new to this also and can totally relate, I think it’s completely normal to have these feelings given what you’re going through. I’ve found sticking my headphones in at night and listening to calming, relaxing music has helped, there’s loads of stuff on YouTube.

You’re stronger than you think and you’ll get though this and always reach out for support whenever you need it. Big hugs xx

• Hi SteveW

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  It's hardly surprising that you had some horrible after the day you had.

Try some meditation before you go to sleep.  There ae plenty of meditation apps that you can download for free.  The best ones are Headspace and Calm Radio.

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever treatment plan your medical team puts you on.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge