Borderline Phyllodes

• 97 replies
  • 456 subscribers

Hi

I saw my GP on 4th February and was referred for investigation/follow up after discovering a breast lump that appeared from nowhere and had grown to 3cm pretty quickly. 

Although my health trust is adhering to the 2ww guidelines, it was still an awful wait for my results following a core biopsy on 17th February. 

So, when on 4th March, the consultant said it was good news, in that it wasn't cancer, but was a Phyllodes tumour, I was somewhat taken aback last Friday, when the GP copy report landed on my doormat saying it was actually a borderline tumour. 

Originally, surgery was pencilled in for 30th March and I've spoken to the breast care nursing team a couple of times.  There's still a real disjoint in quickly progressing the required pre-op tests.  What is really concerning me now, is surgery is looking as though it will be deferred, whilst this dratted tumour is still merrily expanding and growing nodules on nodules, (became obvious over the last couple of days). Being of slight build, I don't have the biggest of boobs, thus, the thought of this tumour growing significantly larger before surgery, worries me and I'm hoping it doesn't end up being too radical an operation.

• You must be so relieved to get it over and done with. Good luck with the results Fingers crossed

• Thank you for your kind words, which are so very much appreciated.Heart

• Thank you. Thumbsup

Surgeon decided that WLE and mammoplasty was the best approach, which I was happy with.  I know over time, my breast will settle and alter a tad, but from what I can see at the moment, it is looking good.

• Excellent; I am very pleased about that. Slight smile

• My post op review with the surgeon this morning went well and he was extremely pleased with the overall appearance/scar etc., in his words, 'the tumour was rather large for the size of the breast'.  I'm over the moon he's achieved such a good result, so much so, he's thinking of 'a little lift' for the other breast once everything settles down, which I am not averse to. 

Another clinic appointment in two weeks for my actual pathology results, as apparently they are taking between 3-4 weeks to come back at the moment, for whatever reasons?

• Thanks for the update! Great to hear such good news!

As for the pathology results, it seems to change from area to area, but in my experience so far it also depends on the lab, and on how busy they get. I have had four surgeries so far where I had to wait for pathology results. The longest for me was a 7-weeks wait, the shortest was just under 2 weeks.

• Delighted to hear that your post op review went well.

Best of luck with your pathology results.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much and I sincerely hope you've no more 'pathology waits' Hugging  

• At the moment no more 'pathology waits,' but later this year I am having one more surgery, so there will be a 'pathology wait' after that. Slight smile However, now that I have been through this fun bit a few times, I hope I can get through the next one relatively ok.

It breaks my heart sometime to see ever more and more people here having to go through these waits, and knowing that as much as we can talk to and encourage each other, it's a little like holding someone's hand while they are having to walk barefoot over hot coals.