5 day radiotherapy

• 30 replies
  • 489 subscribers

Had lumpectomy and 4 lymph nodes removed in January. Now starting radiotherapy on 31st March. Have been to,d that due to Covid and not wanting to have you in hospital 15 times I will be getting the 5 days of radiotherapy rather than the 15. Am a little worried by this as it is higher doses although apparently the amount given in total by the end of treatment is slightly less than having the 15 days. The consultant that rang me was talking as if I will have side effects, hot sore skin which may or may not need dressings as it may break out and also tiredness. That the side effects would peak two weeks after treatment completed and hopefully have subsided around 6 weeks post treatment.

Anyone else had experience of the 5 day treatment?

• Hi Boobydo happy to say I didn’t really have and side effects other than a bit of redness in day 4/5 because I hadn’t had 24 hours between sessions (they were catching up after the Easter holidays) only 15 hours but they gave me Flamagel cream which settled it within hours. No other side effects.

Hope yours goes well xx

•  In answer to your question Jacster, I had my appointment with the radiologist yesterday and told her about the struggles I've been having making a decision about whether or not to have radiotherapy. She was very understanding of my dilemma and respected my wish to avoid having radiotherapy. She said that the features of the tumour that was removed indicated that there was a very low risk of the cancer returning, but that having radiotherapy would probably reduce that risk even further. I understood that whatever decision I made, I might later regret it. I have decided not to have any further treatment but to regularly check my breasts for lumps and have the yearly mammograms. I was advised to contact the breast institute if I had felt that something didn't feel right. I did have 2 lymph nodes removed and they were clear. I had been told that they were clear when they did an ultrasound scan but they removed them anyway. I guess they were erring on the side of caution.

My surgery went very well and I felt refreshed when the anaesthetic wore off. Best sleep I've had in ages Blush Despite being a bit sore for the first couple of weeks the pain was manageable with very few pain killers. Best to take pain killers if you are in pain as it helps the healing process (I was told). Be vigilant with the exercises as this helps with regaining full range of movement. I've been incredibly well supported by health care professionals through every step along the way. They have been absolutely brilliant. I am also very grateful for the input of women on this forum. It has really helped to hear about the experience of others, even though their choices differ from my own. I would have definitely gone for radiotherapy had the risks of recurrence been higher. 

I hope that your experience of surgery is as positive as mine and that you have a good recovery. I look forward to hearing from you again on this forum

• You see, these are the stories I want to hear (or read). Thank you so much for sharing. I really admire that you’ve stepped off the conveyor belt. Like you, I don’t want to have treatment unless of course it is necessary. My surgery isn’t until next week (I have been for my pre op appt this morning) and my mag seed is being done tomorrow. So I have further to go than you but can’t help thinking ahead.

I can’t get my head around that the same treatment is being recommended either way. So, if my lymph nodes are clear and they get enough of a margin out, they recommend I have radio therapy followed by “ a tablet” every day for 5 years. If my results are positive, they will take more tissue to achieve the required margin and then recommend the same treatment as if I was clear. 
    I am 58 and not medicated for anything so the thought of taking a tablet every day ‘just in case’ doesn’t sit well with me. I will of course take it if medically required to do so, it’s the ‘just in case’ I’m struggling with.

I know I’m jumping the gun and I need my surgery first (and my results of course) but I can’t help but go over and over this. I only got diagnosed a week ago so I guess that’s normal. 
    Great that you got some sleep and had such amazing results… I’m really pleased for you and very grateful that you shared this with me. 
    Did they recommend the tablets every day to you? X

• Do you know the size of the tumour/what grade it is? When they take the tumour out and analyse it in the lab they be able to tell you what type of cancer it is (mine was non specific) and whether there was any vascular invasion. Mine didn't have any vascular invasion so I guess that it's unlikely that the cancer cells will have moved on to another area of the breast through the bloodstream. My margins were clear too. I was very lucky to be part of that clinical trial which meant that is was caught early. Like you, I was told that I would be getting radiotherapy and endocrine blockers, then after the results came back they said I could have one or the other. I've read that endocrine blockers aren't well tolerated and a lot of women feel unable to continue with them after a month or so. Like you I resist putting anything in my body that changes it from the inside. I feel comfortable with the choice I have made, but  may have made another choice had my results not been less favourable. Are you having your breasts restructured? I did and I'm really happy with the result, Let me know how you're getting on and I'm happy to share my experiences with you. I have been attending Nottingham Breast institute/City Hospital, Faultless care. Which hospital are in charge of your care?

• Did you have your restructuring done along side your lumpectomy? 

• It was diagnosed via a ct scan at 9mm but the MRI showed it is, in fact 33mm. It’s a lobular estrogen positive, grade 2  cancer and is HER2 negative. They tell me that it is a cancer that usually  ‘behaves itself’ My consultant seems confident he can get it out and has talked to me about margins etc. he will also take some lymph nodes. Obviously everything depends on whether it’s all clear or not. Like you, I don’t want treatment for the sake of it but will, of course  be guided by the results. 
    I have really large breasts so have opted for an incision to remove the lump rather than the larger reconstruction option. 
    My care has been fantastic. I really can’t fault how quickly they have reacted to all this.. I live in Cheshire and I’m being treated at Leighton Hospital. 

• Yes E, I went into theatre with the tumour breast bigger than the other one and came out with two smaller breasts of the same size. My left breast was probably 3 or 4 cup sizes  bigger than my right so when the surgeon asked whether I wanted the tumour removing and the breast left with a small dent in, or a restructuring to give me 2 equally sized breasts I went for the latter option, I was buying 30FF bras which are not widely available and liked the idea of having smaller, perkier (the term used by the surgeon) breasts. Both breasts were restructured during the lumpectomy. My neighbour had a double mastectomy and had her breasts reconstructed at a later date. She had very large breasts before cancer but now they're about the same size as mine, I'm amazes at what they can do

• Thank you for answering, so was your breast always larger than the other or down to the cancer …I’m trying to decide whether to live with the size difference or go for a reconstruction….please don’t answer if you don’t feel comfortable xx 

• its really good that you've got a cancer that usually "behaves itself." I guess that the surgeon will tell you afterwards the subgroup of cancers it falls into, whether there are any cancer cells in the margin or lymph nodes and whether there is any vascular invasion. It was the radiologist however that gave me the most in depth information, during my follow up appointment. The fact that I had to go to the radiotherapy department suggested that radiotherapy was what was intended for me. I think it's probably routine for everyone following breast cancer surgery as is taking a couple of lymph nodes during surgery. I'm pleased to hear that you're having good care. Try to stay positive. Relieved

• I've always had one breast bigger than the other. It didn't bother overly but I was happy to be given the option of evening them up. The surgeons were plastic surgeons who also work in private clinics doing boob jobs so that gave me added reassurance that the result would be cosmetically good, And it really is