Covid and flu jab

• 6 replies
  • 318 subscribers

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of recent guidance on receiving vaccine on treated side? I want to have both jabs at the same time.

• Hi  

Are you asking this question because you've had lymph nodes removed? If so, then the advice is not to have any injections in the arm on the side where the lymph nodes were removed. This is because of the risk of lymphoedema.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• If you’ve had your nodes removed, do not have it in that arm. You can either have both in one arm in different sites or opt to have one in your thigh. This year I did that, easier on the arm and I was in a private room rather than a hall, covid in thigh, flu in arm, it was fine. I have also had them both in the same arm before and that was fine too, just the achy arm was very achy! Rofl

• I was never told this after my op. I had my flu jab then 1/52 later my Covid, both on my treated side. Thankfully, no problems, but I’ll remember in future. I’m surprised my GP nurse didn’t mention it as she knew my diagnosis

• I’ve just had mine . I had both jabs in my non SNB arm , same time . The  pharmacist was happy to do it . Had a sore arm for a few days 

• I just had both, I had not heard about not having it on the arm of the lymph node that that been removed! I had one on that arm. No problems so far (fingers  crossed), but I wished the pharmacist had known! 

1. The guidance has changed now , I was told by a breast care nurse on a Moving Forward course. But I still don’t want to risk it .