1st Surveillance Mammogram Experience

• 1 reply
  • 314 subscribers

Hi everyone,

About two weeks ago I attended the Breast Clinic for my first mammogram after completing treatment.

I still have tenderness and lumpy bits after radiotherapy and surgery and was worried about this next stage. I took painkillers an hour before and it was fine. My results would be ten days or so in the post.

On the tenth day exactly the letter arrived. I put it to one side for an hour and thought about opening it. I had a brew and decided I needed to face the music. The first word my eyes found was “unfortunately” and I felt sick. However the letter stated due to a technical issue y images were not clear enough to provide a screening result and I was invited back to redo the mammogram in three and a half weeks time!

I phoned up and was advised to telephone in another day as more appointments may be released.

Long story short I got straight in for 9am yesterday.

I only needed to have one side repeated and it was the side with the BC history - damm, more pain then but it was done. The operator said she was going to show the image to a doctor immediately to make sure it had captured everything this time. She returned to the room and said there was an area of concern so another sweeping mammogram was required along with an Ultra Sound scan and not to panic.

Mmm how can you not feel scared. I dressed and sat in the waiting room thinking about how I was going to get through this again if it was bad news?

The top doctor came in and scanned me, chatting all the whole and really tried to reassure me this can happen especially in your first surveillance mammogram. 
What they had seen and discussed together in the back office was in fact SCAR TISSUE. 
So, ladies I am fine for another 12 months and the relief was immense.

I thanked the team and shakily sat in the Hospital cafe nursing a coffee and cake whilst I reflected on what had just happened. It felt scarier than the first diagnosis and eventually I drove home and logged on back at work. 
Today, I feel so blessed and a lot more relaxed.

So, I’m sharing this with you all, especially if you are approaching this event as this can happen. If it does, think of this example and don’t panic or collapse.

They need to ascertain what the starting point is for future mammograms and see what is the new normal.

I hope this helps someone.

Have a good weekend x

• Wow.  Thanks for posting this, Shopping Lady.  Although my first of these won't be until next June, it's extremely helpful to bear this in mind.   I'm so pleased for you and hope that coffee and cake were the best you'd ever tasted!