Cararacts

• 7 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hi there. I've just been diagnosed with cataracts, probably caused by the steroids I had during chemotherapy. I've already had a marked deterioration in my eyesight and the optician says the cataracts appear to be progressing rapidly. We're trying stronger glasses first but surgery will be inevitable at some point. Just wondering if anyone else has had this and how long was it before you needed surgery? Thanks.

• Cataracts not cararacts Slight smile

• Hi Veep, yes this happened to me after taking steroids, I was told a while ago I had the start of cataracts but I noticed a deterioration in my eye sight about a year after I finished chemo so I went for an eye test and was told I had one cataract ready to remove and the other eye is  advanced but not quite ready to be treated yet. I was referred and within a matter of weeks had a consultation and had it done and I can honestly say it was a very simple operation and I didn’t feel a thing, a little sore that evening and I had to put drops in 3 times a day for 3 weeks but that was it, had a check up 6 weeks later and now waiting for the next one to be ready 

• Hi Veep. I had a lumpectomy in December 23, Radiotherapy Feb 24 and at my routine eye check in May, they told me that I needed cataract surgery. I was told years ago I had very early cataracts but last year they hadn’t changed. They suggested the surgery/ radiation/ hormone therapy & possible stress may have hastened deterioration. 2 weeks later I had my first cataract done, & 1 month later the 2nd one. After cancer treatment, it was a minor blip, I got over it easy enough, but I’ll be glad when 2024 bids me farewell. 

• That's quite rapid after chemotherapy then. But very reassuring about the op itself. I'm a bit squeamish about eyes but the more I learn about the op the less worried I feel.

• Hi Jennand. It does sound like your treatment hastened deterioration and very rapidly too.  2 weeks is amazing for the first surgery though. I've been told the wait here is 9 months!

2024 has definitely not been your year! Fingers crossed for a much better 2025.

• My eye test was at Specsavers, they asked if I wanted to be referred to hospital or Spa Medica eye clinic. It’s a private clinic but NHS is funding it and it’s only a 5 minute drive from home. I can’t praise their treatment enough. In fact, the NHS has been exemplary for my family this year. I’ve had all my treatment for cancer & cataracts. My husband had a nasty fall & broke 8 ribs, he needed ambulance & hospital stay. I feel like standing outside every Thursday night & clapping. 

• I'll ask about SpaMedica, thanks. You do sound like you've had good value from the NHS this year!