Research is helpful

• 1 reply
  • 313 subscribers

When I was diagnosed a year ago with 3 tumours in my left breast and lymph glands. The support from my surgeon and her team was fantastic. Immediately (literally a week after first seeing GP) I knew type, Oestrogen ++ and my treatment proposals. They seemed brutal especially as I’m left handed: complete axilliary removal of lymph nodes, excision of lumps, radiotherapy and maybe chemo.  

I  asked for time to think but  started taking Letrozole on day 8 from GP referral ( a full day at Breast one stop clinic).

I'm 76 ( was 75 then) so urgently I did a scoping of the literature and research and read all the available documents and papers published and peer reviewed and created a spreadsheet of things like cohort size, age groups, treatment outcomes et al. 

7 days later I saw my surgeon and my option was no treatment except Letrozole which I backed up with a precis of my research. The fact that I want to continue by active and fulfilled life was talked about and I explained my total family support for my decision.  We agreed a programme of 3 monthly reviews with scans, blood tests etc. I had a dexi scan, brain scan and full body scans and x rays. No metastasises found. 

I have my 5th review at the end of this month which will be scans of tumours and checks in bloods etc. At the last review 2 tumours had shrunk and could not be found and the biggest one ( which had been plum sized) was now 6mm.  I’m sea swimming as often as possible, walking 5 miles a day and minimising stress from my life and taking things day by day positively. 

The research enabled me to feel enabled Powerful and self actualised. My decision is not for everyone especially younger woman but I’m so glad that I have the support and easy access to my surgeon, the breast team and my GP who I can see within 24 hours if I need her. I live in rural South West Scotland. 

• Hi  , that’s really interesting, I’m sure I remember you posting a while ago, presumably at the beginning of your treatment. Will follow your story with great interest! I’m not sure I’d feel able to go ‘out on a limb’ to the extent that you have, but it’s great that you have such a supportive team around you. The letrozole seems to be doing its job! And your case may inform future research. Love and hugs, HFxx 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi