Letrozole

• 4 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hi, does anyone take the Femora brand of Letrozole as I asked my pharmacy to change my brand from accord but said they couldn’t as the Femora brand is too expensive.

would be interested to hear options please if it has made much difference to side effects.

• Hi Skylark

I haven't had Femora but have experience swapping brands with side effect changes.  Was on Sun brand for a couple of months, very achy and stiff generally, sore shins, then next prescription was Accord which made the aches disappear but replaced with tummy pains!  I'd rather have the aches so have been to a different chemist who had the Sun brand in stock.  Haven't heard many people being able to get Femara but I believe the Accord brand is closest to Femara in it's components?  I am going to take my prescription to this new pharmacy from now on, who were much more sympathetic and wanted to help.  Might be worth a ring around to other places if you haven't done so already. Good luck x

• Thank you Lullabell I appreciate your information are you also getting the Herceptin injection as it’s had to know what is causing what side effects.  I am half  way through and have 10 more injections to go.

hope you find one that helps X

• It's difficult isn't it knowing what to attribute the side effects to when there's a lot going on.  Throw in menopause as well and I haven't got a clue what's causing what!  I didn't have Herceptin, but I'm sure someone who is having it will be able to share their experience.  Good that you're half way through now, finish line in sight!

• Hi, I had Letrozole for three years (swapping to Tamoxifen due to osteoporosis) and decided after research, to stick to one brand; it was Accord. As already said, it seemed the closest generic to the original Femara. My GP supported me by adding the ‘please supply Accord brand’ to my repeats. 

I think it’s the additives that can generate some of the extra symptoms. But joint aches and hot flushes were standard, sadly. An antihistamine, Claritin, did seem to help bone aches, so might be worth a try. (It’s used for bone pain with Filgrastim injections, very common in patients being treated for some blood cancers) 

hugs xxx

Moomy