Extremely Scared. Thickening of the breast skin after mastectomy & reconstruction

• 2 replies
  • 317 subscribers

Back on the forum after 1.5 years…

I was diagnosed with TNBC 2 years ago: 3cm, no lymph node invasion. I had 16 Chemo+6 Keytruda, double mastectomy with reconstruction, and PCR. All 23 nodes were removed, without infiltration signs. I had no Rads or other treatment since.

In January 2024 I had another surgery on the same breast, to reposition the implant because the skin was too thin.

Starting May-June I began feeling a diffuse thickening of the skin on the operated breast(not specifically on the scar) with 2 spots of about 2-3 cm where the skin feels a bit hard. I had an Echo that confirmed 7mm edema and a thickening of the skin of 4mm, without any discernable mass.

I had 2 doctors telling me it was just a benign change after surgery and a third one(the one that performed the ECO) who sent me for an MRI on Friday.

I am so scared, out of my mind.

Has anybody had this experience? I feel so alone and remember how much this forum helped me during my treatment.

XO

• Hi I also have thickening mainly around the aerola area feels kind of rubbery, I think its where I got cooked by radiotherapy, Its been almost a year since surgery and it is begining to slightly soften . 

• Julie, thank you so much for replying!

As long as I read, after Rads it`s normal to have some edema.

I am scared because I didn`t have Rads and the edema covers about 40% of the breast skin. I have no redness.

I will be waiting for the MRI but meantime I can`t help but being scared.

XO