Collagen supplements after ER+ BC

• 3 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Hello,

I had ER+ breast cancer in 2022 for which I had chemo to shrink tumor, lumpectomy & radiotherapy.

I have been taking Letrozole since ending active treatment, I am slowly getting used to the side effects. However recently I have had an extremely dry face with eczema patches and thinning hair.

I called my oncologists secretary to ask if it was ok for me to take collagen supplements and she advised that he said it was fine.

But I have also been researching this on the internet and found articles saying that collagen after ER+ breast cancer may increase the risk of cancer spreading to other body parts.

I’m now worried as started taking supplement and feeling worried but don’t want to question my oncologist as he has already said it was ok.

has anyone else asked this question & what were you told please 

thanks for any advice xxx 

• Hi DreamA welcome to the forum.. I think the jury is very much out on Collagen supplements in Oestrogen Positive Breast Cancer. It sounds like that was all relayed through his secretary and you really do need o speak directly to them to ask your query and explain why you are concerned. Alternatively you could make contact with the Breast  Nurse and speak with them. Meantime if it was me and until i had definitive answers  I would not be taking anything until I was 100 % certain of their benefits and no risks.  I think you are being entirely reasonable asking as the information provided is certainly  not easy to interpret.    

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Gail,

thank you for your reply and yes you are totally right I need to speak to care team directly. I have left a message for my breast care nurse to call me.

In the meantime I have stopped taking it.

so worrying with all the mixed messages on the internet.

thanks again

Paula 

• Hi Dream A I think you have done exactly the right thing until you get more information. Please come back and let us know how you get on. x

gail

Community Champion Badge