Anyone point me in the right direction - yoga

• 7 replies
  • 321 subscribers

I am struggling with aching and hoping yoga might help a little but never done it before. I was hoping to join a yoga season at my local maggies but unfortunately falls on my chemo day every week so can’t attend. I’m hoping to try at home but I honestly don’t know where to start, if anyone has any suggestions?

thanks in advance 

• Hi

i follow the yoga on yoga on you tube Adrianne as it’s short 20 min sessions and you can do them whenever you are feeling up to it and focus on the breath work is very comforting if your not physically able get into the movements.

i hope this helps xx

• Hi  

thank you il give it a try, before my diagnosis I was active just haven’t really been since apart from some walking so hoping starting some yoga will help. 

thanks again and take care 

• I’m an older yoga person and find Adrienne’s a bit tough (I’m not terribly mobile) but as I went to Hatha classes for a couple of years I know how to adapt and take some movements easier. 

If you’ve had surgery please do take it very easy, you shouldn’t do any weight bearing on the affected arm for a good 6 weeks post-op. And even then take it easy to begin with. 

I think the meditation side at the end of a session is very helpful. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi  

thank you for your reply. I am yet to have surgery as having chemotherapy first. I will definitely listen to my body and take it easy. 

thanks again and take care 

• Yoga for cancer, vicky Fox . She has a book and online classes . You can do a monthly subscription. 

i think you can also join online classes for free at Future Dreams charity .

• Hi

I started yoga shortly before I was diagnosed and am so glad I did as it has helped both my mental and physical recovery following a mastectomy. I think you should start with hatha or ashtanga styles which are slower paced and more meditative. I restarted 6 weeks after my mastectomy with no weight bearing at all on that side. I attended classes, explained my situation and the instructors made sure the poses I did were safe and understood that I would have to rest at points. I feel that it has strengthened both my mind and body, I hope it does the same for you. Just remember it is your practice and no one expects anything from you so take it easy & enjoy it.

• Hi Gwen118,

I listened to this recently and found it really helpful and interesting. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2cj2HuBcXmGqoRJjM3WpwT?si=UpqIUezXQQql35bjuvFSfA

Marcia also has an Instagram page @yogaforbreastcancer

Hope the above helps xx