Having a “why me” day

• 2 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

every now and then I’m having a “why me” day. Into my 6th week of weekly chemotherapy this week, it’s been a long 6 weeks! My main symptoms are achy upper body and my emotions seem to be getting worse every session, I cry about anything! And I’m not a crier! I’m on immune therapy as well as chemotherapy, wondered if anyone is feeling the same? I read so many posts on here and you are such amazing warriors. I am a really strong person and extremely resilient but I can’t seem to find it. 

• Hi Gwen118 welcome to the  forum. I assure you that you are not alone in asking "why me" we all have them. You are being put through the mill with treatment and life feels a bit like a rollercoaster with all these things coming at you faster than you can process them, then it becomes seriously overwhelming. Again you are not alone in that

None of us are warriors but normal folks juts like you battling a dragon and attempting to make sure they go away and stay away.  You will get through this and you will come out the other side.

Meanwhile Im sending you some huge big hugs for now. xx 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Gwen118,

Oh hun, believe me everyone diagnosed with cancer has a ‘why me’ day, in fact quite a few of them. We all struggle with trying to get our head round what is happening to us and this is all perfectly natural.

I would advise you to visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day, do this when you feel up to it, (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and ask your Breast Cancer Nurse as many questions as you want, mine still ring me regularly - also you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx