Nuclear bone scan today to confirm secondaries

• 2 replies
  • 318 subscribers

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed tonight  having had a whole body bone scan today to check an area picked up by a recent CT scan showing changes in my spine which indicate cancer . I was diagnosed a year ago with HER2+ and ER+ have had surgery chemo and radiotherapy and still having Herceptin and Bisphosphonates I started Examestane in July. I really didn’t expect to be facing the possibility of secondaries so soon. I have quite a bit of pain in the area shown on the scan . I am aware / hoping that this might just be arthritis and not cancer . The MacMillan nurse told me it’s possible that it’s a secondary that’s been there for a while and the chemo has kept it at bay. I have no idea how that could be established or even if it alters the outcome. I had a wonderful oncologist who left recently and have an interim oncologist instead who works remotely which is proving to be very unhelpful. I was told the results might be available tomorrow but it could take up to 10 days. I just have to go with it. So pleased to have this forum where I can say how I’m feeling . Thank you 

• Hello, I’m sorry to read that you are going through this so soon after your initial diagnosis. Do use the forum to air your fears and feelings, whatever they might be. I hope that you receive your results soon. I have had one of these scans. The waiting is so hard. Xx

• Thank you Cloudier. I hope your scan results were ok. I remain hopeful but prepared for a secondary outcome .