How are you supposed to feel?

• 2 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hey all, 

So I’ve posted in the treatment section a couple of times, but thought this was more general. I’m post chemo and radiotherapy so officially cancer free (they don’t check do they), I’m now on the preventative treatment hormone and oral chemo to hopefully stop it returning anytime soon, but my question is how are you supposed to feel now? 
My hair is growing, my energy is slowly returning, but I still like to go to bed and watch TV out of the way, I ache sitting on the sofa, but I have a loving hubby and children and I’m still missing out on time with them. When more energy returns will i manage more? Should I ask for help from GP? I just dont know how I feel. It’s almost a year since I was diagnosed, my first mammogram is booked and it feels like this year has been a whirlwind. 

thanks for reading x

• Hi Jmamp,

I had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed nearly five months ago, finished my radiotherapy a few weeks back and have recently been told I am clear. I know after treatment is more or less over you feel somewhat lost, but this is all perfectly normal. I found when I told people I was was clear, some of them were like ‘well you’re okay and back to normal now’ but the treatment you seem to handle better then the aftermath. Firstly, I would ring Macmillan (0808 808 0000) they have people who can talk to you about this, in confidence if you want, or visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here.

I also go for a short walk every day - even just a short walk is good (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on.

It might also help you to read the paper written by Dr Peter Harvey, who is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Leeds General Hospital. It is specifically about coping after cancer treatment and he hits ever nail on the head. I can assure it is a very easy read and is not full of medical jargon - just Google his name and you will find it.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Thank you so much for the reply,  My lumpectomy and then lymph node removal was October 24, it is a year since diagnosis next week.  I have seen that paper mentioned before on here so have it marked to read this week.  I am self-employed and have decided to go back to it full time this week and grab some normality and control.  My hubby is military and is going away for a couple of months as well.  The long term medication and check ups etc are constant still but I am determined to get control back.  I will call MacMillan I don't like to be a bother but will call.

Thanks again