Results bit confused

• 6 replies
  • 318 subscribers

Hi hoping someone can help me understand 

I got my results on last Tuesday from my wide local excision.the surgeon played everything down then I got my letter saying I had pre invasive cancer dcis low grade margins not clear having another wide local excision this Tuesday.and saying will have to wait ti see if i need radiotherapy..this might sound a bit silly but what does all this mean .

Thank you Two hearts 

• Hi Scouse4 welcome to the  forum. It sounds like it is at the stage of being pre invasive in that it has not spread outside the ducts in the breast which is the DCIS part.

It doesn't sound silly at all Drs and hospitals know what they are talking about but forget that we don't. so they go on in their own language and sometimes we have to stop and just say "plain English please". The low grade margins means that what they have taken away is not enough tissue to be totally clear for the DCIS ad remove it all,. hence why the second wide locla excision. 

Hope that's useful for you. x 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Gail 

Thank you so the grade can change when I have my op again and am waiting for something else to see if hormone or not related .thank you so much for answering me so it means I have very early cancer then silly question again but when at the hospital it was oh don't worry the McMillan nurse was there too and she was like don't worry . Feel a bit silly asking these questions.xx

• You are not silly and please do not ever think that on here. We have all been where you are so  nothing is considered a silly question. Its ok for them to say don't worry but we do until we know what's happening for certain so again you are not alone in this. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for answering I just think am very lucky and feel a bit of a fraud being on this group with them saying it's nothing to worry about xx 

• Hi Gail

I was diagnosed with DCIs earlier this year we are both very lucky as it has been caught early and the prognosis is good. My Dcis was high grade so I had to have 5 days of radiotherapy as it is more likely to come back  than low grade so it was just an insurance policy. If you do have to have radiotherapy it is fine and not painful but  you do feel tired after two to three weeks so if you work please be kind to yourself and take sometime off I had an enforce time off by breaking my leg. Wishing you all the best. But please ask questions regardless of how daft you they are for your specialit to answer. I went in with a list.

• you remind me of me! I had stage 2 cancer. Invasive lobuler in one breast and invasive ductal in the other. I wasn't ill before diagnosis and so it's all felt quite surreal. hence feeling like an imposter. my op was successful but I still need 6 months chemo, 15 sessions of radiotherapy and 10 years of Tamoxifen so I'm scared of what they may bring on. however, point being, please don't feel like a fraud - cancer is always something to worry about x