Letrozole

• 3 replies
  • 320 subscribers

Hi all, I'm new to this online community.

I have been on Letrozole for nine years, with one year to go.

I have experienced pretty much all of the side effects listed for Letrozole, but have managed okay until about the last three years.

I have been getting increasing pain and stiffness in my joints, particularly in my feet. I thought I had a stress fracture in my foot. X-ray showed no fracture, but did show osteopenia (thinning bones). Subsequent dexa scan showed that I don't have full-blown osteoporosis, but my bone density has decreased significantly since a previous dexa scan twelve years ago.

At no time have I been prescribed or advised to take calcium and vitamin D supplements. My GP recently wrote to my oncologist who replied that I should be taking Adcal, which has now been prescribed.

My question is this, was the failure to prescribe Adcal nine years ago a case of negligence? I am now in constant chronic pain and my mobility and functioning are severely reduced. Should I seek legal advice regarding this oversight?

Thanks in advance ad sorry for the long message!

• Dear JB firstly congratulations for taking Letrazole for 9 years I only managed 3.5 however, my oncologist respected me for getting that far so you have done extremely well as regards your other medication. I feel you have been let down.

if you feel you would like to take it further, why not it will probably help others as well as yourself. Wishing you well go forward

Tili x

• The way treatment paths work has changed a lot in 9 years. You must be feeling very angry though to consider legal advice. That’s not an easy path and you may find it makes you more angry and distressed. There might also be all sorts of other reasons why you are in pain. You don’t say how old you are, I’m 76 and my general mobility and joint aching was increasing long before I got breast cancer. 
    I’m sure that if you ring the breast nurses and talk to them they might arrange for you to see someone in an associate team who can help with exercises for the pain. This is meant in kindness. 

• Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear about the struggles you've been facing. It sounds incredibly tough, especially dealing with chronic pain and reduced mobility. I think it's great that you're reaching out for advice.

When it comes to whether the failure to prescribe Adcal nine years ago could be considered negligence, it might be a complex issue. Negligence usually involves a breach of the standard of care, meaning that a healthcare professional did not act in a way that a reasonably competent professional would have in similar circumstances. If your bone density has decreased significantly and this could have been mitigated by taking Adcal earlier, it might be worth exploring.

Given your situation, seeking legal advice could be beneficial. A lawyer with experience in medical negligence could help you determine whether you have a case, especially considering the impact on your quality of life. It’s important to gather all your medical records and any communication with your healthcare providers over the years to present a clear picture.

Since you have been taking Letrozole for 9 years, I remind everyone else who has just started taking it or is just about to, it is important to use only high-quality Letrozole for maximum effect of the drug, stay healthy!

I hope this helps, and I wish you strength and relief from your pain.