Chemo advice

• 15 replies
  • 323 subscribers

I've been diagnosed with Her2 positive breast cancer and start my dreaded chemo next Thursday. Just wondering whether to have something to eat before it and can u eat while having it? 

• Hi mum45 

How did it go? I had my first treatment today. The cold cap wasn't too bad I don't think! Feel ok now, just shattered and queasy but not too bad.  Hope you're doing ok xx

• Hi been thinking about u too. The cold cap with me was fine too just had abit of toothache?  but was manageable. The unit was lovely and felt so calm and reassured in there. I'm OK too at the mo just keep getting a red flushed face which keeps coming and going.  Also not sleeping right well keep waking up but not sure if that's the steroids I've been taking last few days which have been helping everything else tho including my anxiety. What type of breast cancer do u have? Mine is her2 positive I had to have immunotherapy injection in my leg then two different types of chemo fed through my hand into my vein. Glad u are doing OK xxx

• Thanks for tip on wearing leggings as knowing me I would have gone in my Jeans! I ended up wearing some lounge pants and they were so much comfier and easy access for toilet lol. Chemo went well so did the cold cap just had abit of toothache. Not been sleeping right well but could be due to the steroids I've been taking last few days but that been helping my anxiety. Only symptom I've got at mo  is flushed face which keeps coming and going. How r u doing ?

• Glad to hear it went okay  

I'm well thanks. My treatment finished January 2023 and I just have 6-monthly Zometa infusions now.

I sometimes woke up during the first few nights after chemo and couldn't get back to sleep straight away. I put it down to the steroids they give you each session. I found that a nice cup of tea while propped up in bed reading something sent me back to sleep.

Hope the rest of your chemo goes smoothly.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I'm glad you mentioned the flushed face thing as I keep getting it! I'm doing ok, didn't have the greatest sleep last night so feel a bit tired...I got to sleep OK but just kept waking up. Felt a little nauseous when I woke up but it seems to have settled after the meds. 

The unit was so lovely yesterday, really helps to settle you doesn't it? They're going to call me today to see how I'm doing. The only thing I might mention is that I'm having some rib pain, like right around the bottom of my ribs into my back? I do have a condition that causes ligament and joint issues so I'm thinking it's probably to do with that, but it's going to be tricky knowing what is being caused by what I think!

I have hormone receptive type, but HER2 negative. I'll be having radiotherapy and tamoxifen once chemo is finished. Feels like a long road at the minute doesn't it Unamused

How are you feeling today? Xx