FATIGUE

• 7 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Hi all I'm having 6 rounds of chemo..3docetaxil and then 3ec..I have my last docetaxil on Friday and I'm cold capping...so far my symptoms have not been too bad...no sickness just very achy..like flu symptoms.. no hair loss yet but I've had a very short crop and only have very fine hair...I have 5 injections to give myself after the chemo which also make my back ache but it's the fatigue that I'm struggling with..its not like any tiredness I've ever experienced..some days I can get up get showered and maybe even go out but then other days I can barely lift my arms...I'm 51 and sometimes feel about 90..I've been told that the symptoms can get worse with each round and I've definitely noticed an increase in the fatigue..but then it might be all change when I start the ec and a whole fresh set of symptoms...just wondered what others had experienced on these 2 infusions..x

• I had EC followed by docetaxal and found the latter really wiped me out. I would have a bad week, ok week and good week on EC but the side effects on docetaxal seemed to come in waves throughout the cycle.

After my first round of docetaxal, I could barely get out of bed or off the sofa for 10 days. Everything just felt so heavy. After that, they reduced my dosage a bit but it was still a struggle.

Everyone is different and as you're having EC second, then the cumulative effect may just continue to wipe you out.

Good luck with your EC.

• Oh thanks for the reply..glad it's not just me...thought I was being a bit of a wuss but to hear you had the same tiredness is comforting somehow..x

• Hi Lloydy,

I had Abraxane first and was able to walk my dogs etc.Well roll on first EC on 15th Aug,well apart from getting from the sofa or bed to the toilet that has been my day for 13 days.Like you said the fatigue, lightheadness, dizziness etc like nothing I have ever experienced. I am having this on a 3 weekly cycle,so I'm thinking most probably 1 week of actually feeling as normal as I can.Im hoping yours is a little easier on you.But you are definitely not on your own xx

• It really is a shock to the system...I'm on my good week this week so I've been busy getting all my appointments fitted in before Fridays next round..but its strange walking around town and being over taken by little old ladies lol...Rofl

• Hi Lloydy

I’m 59 & had my last Docetaxel 31/7 after having 3 x EC then 3 x Docetaxel. I must admit I’ve found the fatigue exhausting especially with the last two Docetaxels. As you say, it’s like nothing you’ve ever experienced before. The muscle aches & nerve pains I found were bad with the Docetaxel. You don’t get that with EC.

I’m starting to recover now although the muscle fatigue is still quite bad especially when walking up stairs & in arms generally. I’ve started back to work for reduced hours but it’s very tiring still. 

I didn’t cold cap & started to lose my hair in handfuls two weeks after first EC & continued to lose it until I now only have about 5% left. I had shoulder length thick curly hair. I decided not to cold cap as I’d been told that EC is bad for hair loss so I thought I’d go with it & got myself a couple of pink & blue wavy wigs! Wore one to work today Slight smile

All the best with the rest of your treatments. 

Sanguine xx

• Hey sanguine..thanks for replying...its good to know that the aches and muscle pain  will go hopefully when I have the ec...I do cold cap but that seems to get harder each time...not sure ifnits because I know what's coming...I wasnt aware that ec was worse for hair loss as I havnt lost any yet apart for legs and under arms..so maybe it will start to come out more next time...I did get a wig also so I can always get that out if needs be..gosh your doing well to go back to work..hope your recovery is smooth sailing..x

• Hi Lloydy

Sorry for late response.  
    I work in an office so that made it easier, although the further into treatment I got the less days I did. It was usually 4 or 5 days each cycle. 
    Fatigue has definitely improved now so that’s something for you to look forward to once you’re done!  Start radiotherapy 16/9 so I’m really hoping that won’t cause fatigue. 

How’s the cold capping going? Are you still not losing head hair? Slight smile X