Moisturiser?

• 5 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Hi all, I had my main surgery 9 weeks ago (lumpectomy and mammoplasty) and a cavity shave 4 weeks ago. Can I moisturise yet? There are no scabs left and it's all nicely knitted together. It just feels a bit tight and I'd like to get some moisture on there, but I haven't really been given any guidance as to when it's allowed?

Thanks in advance for any tips! X

• Update: I've just noticed there's a stitch poking out at the end of the scar...is this normal???

• Hi Sharlou,

I had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed four months ago and recently finished my radiotherapy.

I was told to prepare the breast before radiotherapy, which I had been and also afterwards to keep the skin from drying out. I had been using Baby Aveeno and my Oncologist said that’s fine, you can also use E45 cream as well, but please check with your own Doctor or Breast Cancer Nurse first.

As for the stitch, it should be okay, but again please contact your Brest Cancer Nurse, you can contact them anytime that’s what they are therefore.

I hope all goes well and please feel free to come and chat at anytime.

Love and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Sharlou welcome to the forum. I am not sure about moisturiser as the skin and the inside of the area where surgery has taken place will be very fragile. However, by the nature of applying moisturiser and rubbing this in could potentially cause issues with skin break down. at this early stage in healing.

Is it a stitch or is it just dried blood that has oozed? Im imagining that some of the internal stitches will have been dissovable stitches and it may be that one is making it way to the surface. It might be worth calling the Breast Nurse and asking for some advice from them and seeing if they can see you to examine this as well.    

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, I'm going to give the nurse a call tomorrow. Radiotherapy will be a way off yet so no desperate rush but I just feel like my poor skin needs some moisture! xx

• Thanks Gail, I'm going to call tomorrow. It's definitely a stitch, it's like a wiry white hair sticking through my skin. There's a little bump underneath it too, I'm wondering if it's a knot that just hasn't dissolved yet?! I'm resisting the urge to pull it because now I know it is there it is aggravating me. 47 going on 7 I think!