Wide Awake…….Again

• 3 replies
  • 318 subscribers

I finished 8 rounds of chemo, x4 EC followed by x4 Docetaxel on 28 Jun, then had lumpectomy on 02 Aug, and now waiting results of lymph node biopsy, although was told in Dec that my lymph nodes were clear.

The last 3 weeks have been hell as much as I’ve tried to distract myself this waiting game has impacted my mental health significantly, particularly impacting sleep, I can’t remember the last time I was able to blissfully fall to sleep. 

I’m suffering with peripheral neuropathy in my feet, something I knew nothing about at the time of chemo and didn’t come on until weeks after chemo ended, my body aches, and now I’ve had my coil removed prior to surgery am now starting to feel the effects of menopause.

I’m usually a positive person but right now I’m struggling to be positive, I’m digging deep daily I really am but right now I’m not seeing an end to all of this, I want to feel normal again but also know the normal I used to know may never come back, I think I’m admitting to myself that I’m a mess right now and don’t know how to begin to heal mentally from all of this.

• Try this thread.  Might be others still up.

RE: AWAKE......... 

• So sorry to hear you are struggling right now. Lack of sleep, although understandable, will make you feel so much worse/more emotional during the day also. I was on HRT to aid my sleep and aching body, but had to stop that, as well as have coil removed as soon as I was diagnosed. My sister recommended Amitriptylin (she has fibromyalgia). I asked my Dr and he happily prescribed this for me as it is not addictive and can be taken in low dosage, I take one table per day (you can take up to four). I can continue to take during chemo also. 

Having had a lumpectomy and the sentinel lymph node removed in June this year, I was told three weeks later that the cancer had spread. My sentinel node was positive and that they had not removed it all from my breast, I would need a mastectomy and all lymph removed. I also had fast spreading and ‘unpredictable’ type of cancer cells. I was beside myself with worry and emailed the consultant asking for a CT scan, citing my mental health, he agreed.

The CT scan showed no cancer in my vital organs which was an immediate and massive relief. Having now had the Auxiliary Lymph node clearance and mastectomy, at the end of July, no other nodes were positive, they removed 14. 

The not knowing is the very worst part and I really feel for you. Try and get some help with sleep and I think this will help a lot. My chemo is due to start soon and I have been told that is the worst part? Your body has been through so much already, it is no wonder you feel physical and emotional pain. Take care of yourself, you are doing a great job so far xxxxz

• Hi Sarah76,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. I know what you are going through is slightly different to mine, but there is a lot of help you can get and also, quite a bit you can do for yourself.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and ask your Breast Cancer Nurse as many questions as you like, mine also contact me regularly - and don’t forget, you get great support on here too.

I don’t know if this will help, but I know cancer treatment is renowned for the aches and pains and taken vitamin D3 for quite a while now, my Oncologist said it was okay to continue to do this and I have not had much pain. If I have trouble relaxing or sleeping, I either put some hot water in a bowl, add a few drops of lavender oil and place it in the living room/bedroom area and it does the trick.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed  for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx