Risk reducing double mastectomy

• 8 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma when I was 27 and received Radiotherapy to my chest for 6 weeks.  The Lymphoma returned 2 and a half years later in my Spleen.  I underwent 7 months of chemotherapy and removal of my Spleen.  When I was 42 I found a lump at the front of my neck which turned out to be  Thyroid cancer.  I had removal of the gland followed by radioactive Iodeine treatment. I am now 60.

3 months ago I received a letter from NHS England telling me research has shown women like myself who had received Radiotherapy to the chest,  were at a much higher risk of developing breast cancer. The letter explained that I would be offered yearly mammograms along with MRI scans. I had my scans very quickly and,  thankfully,  everything was clear. 

I have since seen a breast consultant to discuss my options, as I really don't want to live with the constant worry of Cancer returning.  

My consultant has discussed the options available and I think I am going to go ahead with double mastectomy with reconstruction.  

I am trying to get my head around the different options, reconstruction with implants,  reconstruction using muscle from my back or reconstruction using tissue from my stomach etc.  

I would really appreciate any advice,  pros and cons of any of the options,  recovery times, pain, sensitivity etc. Sorry for such a long post, I'm new to this type of thing and wasn't sure how much information to share. 

• Hi, I am sorry I don't have the experience to help you myself, but I just noticed your post hasn't had any responses yet, as the site is quite busy.  My answer will bump you back to the top and I hope someone with the right experience will be along soon.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi Irishgirl16, 

Many thanks for responding to my post, yes it is a very busy site so I understand responses may be slow. Fingers crossed someone may be able to answer some of my questions.  Thank you again. 

• I'm about to have a nipple saving tram flap natural reconstruction which I went for it because it was natural, it would age with me. It is using my tummy fat which felt like a good decision. Recovery is slightly longer and harder I've been told. 

• Many thanks for your reply, yes my Consultant explained the option using tummy fat can be a little longer to recover from compared to other options. I really hope all goes well for you, it would be good to hear how you get on with your recovery etc.  Good luck with it all.

• I’ve had a double mastectomy as diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer a year ago. I had immediate reconstruction, it wasn’t easy initially with having drain bags to deal with and very weak arms following procedure. I needed help from husband for quite a few weeks with everything. Pain wise it wasn’t too bad and after initial few days following procedure I managed it with paracetomol. I did have issue with right breast healing and too, longer to heal leaving me with a much larger scar. I struggle to sleep on my sides still, but I don’t really get any pain in breasts. They do feel tight sometimes but then maybe the following day the tightness has gone and this gets repeated but it’s more of a discomfort than painful. I had a reduction as was originally 38g and now am a 38d, so lost both nipples and hoping for nipple tattoos eventually . With implants you can no longer have mammograms so ongoing it’s just a matter of noticing any changes to report which can be worrying. Best of luck with your decision.

• Hello DDG1967,

thank you for your detailed reply, it's really helpful.  I am leaning towards the implant option as it seems to have the quickest recovery time,  I  am a full time carer for my daughter, and can't be out of action for too long. Wishing you all the very best and thank you again. 

• Hi may1012

I had double mastectomy with immediate implants on 21st May so I'm now 12 weeks in..I had 4drains which were uncomfortable for a coupe of days but then got used to them..the district nurses came for a day or so to drain them but its easy to do yourself so I did them and the nurses  just called every few days to check on me..having them out was worrying but was quick and painless..my cancer nurse did them for me and it took 2 mins max..your on heavy meds for first few days so I felt no pain but you do tend to be very cautious in your movement just incase..once I was just on paracetamol I had aches and pains some of the time..the worst bit for me was my pj's rubbing against my skin...it was very sensitive...that lasted a good 8 weeks..it probably took that long for me to be able to sleep on my side aswell but I'm fine with that now too..Still only have very little feeling around the nipple area..I got to keep mine because they're only small lol...but the feeling is getting better..another strange thing is that they feel very cool to the touch..even when I'm warm..probably because they're not real..all in all if you had asked me 4 weeks ago I would of said I was fed up of them and the aches and the numbness..but now I'm used to them they're not so bad and improving every week...they're not my old boobs but you can't have everything and at least these ones haven't got cancer..Good luck with whatever you decide and hope thus helps..x

• Hi Lloydy

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I am seeing my Consultant in 3 weeks to arrange the next step once I have made my decision.  From what I have read the implant route seems to be more straightforward with a quicker recovery and generally less complications. As I had Cancer in the past I know the stress and worry that comes with it,  as well as the treatment! I am very grateful that I have been warned that I am now very high risk and that I have options going forward.  I am definitely going ahead with the double mastectomy and really appreciate everyone's honesty about recovery,  pain, sensitivity etc.  

Wishing you a continued recovery and very best wishes for the future. X