Anxiety Attacks

• 8 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Hello everyone. I have been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and need chemo first, followed by a mastectomy and radiation. I have my first appointment with oncologist on 22nd July.

I am terrified and am yet to tell my 14 year old son. Yesterday while I was out I started to sweat and had a warm feeling going up the back of my head with tingling. Luckily my son wasn't with me. My partner had to call an ambulance but all my readings were fine and they put it down to anxiety.

Has anyone else had anxiety attacks and how do you deal with it?  The cancer is constantly on my mind. I had a CT scan a couple of days ago and am waiting to see if the cancer has spread.

Any advice gratefully received x

• Hello. 

when I was first diagnosed in January- I would have terrible panic/anxiety attacks sometimes they came when I would say I wasn’t even thinking about it. ( like waves of heat from toe to head and a really unsettling feeling).  First of all I told my GP ( I really did not want that feeling, I found it really difficult) and I had a short prescription of diazepam. - which did help, but I knew it wasn’t gonna be the actual answer. I then started doing the 3 thing technique ( which in honesty I thought was ridiculous, but actually worked) when the feeling started. Say out loud 3 things you can hear, 3 things you can see and touch 3 solid things. We are all different and I don’t know if this will work for you, but I do know the feelings your having are normal, I’m sure both of us are not the only ones who have or who are experiencing this type of thing. Before this I hadn’t had a panic or anxiety attack/episode.  I can tell you that I don’t have them now. ( I have some anxiety) but the waves and horrible dreading feeling doesn’t come. It almost stopped instantly when treatment started. Maybe in my mind it was because something was happening, I’m not sure?  Just want you to know, your not alone. Maybe speak to your GP, breast nurse, oncologist- if they are causing you more upset/distress than you need. 
    Telling our child/children or loved ones  is probably one of the hardest things, I’m sure others would say the same, and again very different and personal to each individual. I am very sorry that you’re feeling this way and that you have to experience this. X

• Thank you for your advice. I will certainly give it a try and am considering talking to my GP

• Hi

After being diagnosed with breast cancer I started having regular chest pains, a swooping feeling in my stomach, light headedness and disturbed sleep. My GP prescribed Propranolol and Sertraline which I take at the lowest dose daily. I don't like relying on medication and delayed taking them for a while even after they'd been dispensed but they've made a huge difference.

A chat with your BC nurse or GP may be a good idea.

I hope that you feel less anxious soon x

• Hello

I suffered with panic attacks for years when I was younger so know how you feel and how scary they are if you haven't had them before.

There are some simple relaxation techniques you can use when you have one , depending where you are when it happens:

1. Breathe in slowly to a count of 5, hold for a count of five, breathe out for a count of 5. 

2. If you can lie down on the bed - use tense and relax method - for example, clenching your fist until it's almost painful then slowly release the clench and let the relaxing feeling come over you. You can do this with any part of the body - even lifting your head off the pillow, holding it then slowly letting it back down to relax.

3. If you find yourself having scary thoughts - shift your attention away from them either by doing a puzzle book or something that you have to concentrate on. I play a word game in my head sometimes - I think if a category, eg sports, and go through the alphabet naming as many as I can.

4. Phone a friend and ask them to talk to you about something nice - tell them why - until you feel more relaxed.

Try and see if there is a pattern to the panic attacks so you can try and put a strategy into place that reduces them e.g. are they happening when you are hungry/tired/with too many people/on your own ....

I would suggest too that you speak to your GP asap. They might suggest short term meds and you should ask if there is any talking therapy available to you with a therapist to help with it. My sister recently had wonderful therapy through her GP for acute anxiety. 

There are lots of relaxation videos  on the internet too that might help.

It's very upsetting I know but try not to get into a cycle of panicking about panicking. Tell yourself when it happens that "this is my body's reaction to shock and trauma and it's perfectly natural".  And the more people you tell about the panic the better because they will be able to support you when it happens. 

I'm sorry that you are going to have to tell your son. I would suggest you ring the Macmillan helpline for advice about that and the panic as they are wonderful. 

I wish you all the very best for your treatment. 

Xx

• P.s. like you I am having chemo first, followed by double mastectomy and almost definitely radiotherapy.  I'm due my second chemo (out of 6) this week.  

It's all a bit of a rollercoaster ride because things change a lot e.g. I was originally told I wouldn't need chemo. Usually I am a real planner and think way ahead but since I got my diagnosis I've had to adjust to just taking each day as it comes and enjoying the good ones and writing off the harder ones as just being part of the journey . I try to make sure I do something nice each day however small it is, even if it's just having a walk and an ice cream in the village where I live. I've stopped trying to plan ahead and anything I arrange with other people is always on the understanding that it's provisional, so I'm not under pressure to do something if I find on the day that I'm not feeling physically or mentally up to it. Living more in the moment is helping me cope with it and actually although the cancer is scary and the treatment is hard I have found that I'm getting a lot more out of the little things in life that I may have overlooked before, so in some strange way it has also been a gift. 

I think you will feel a lot better once you have told your son as that is a huge thing for you to be carrying around and holding inside. I hope you can speak to someone at Macmillan to discuss how you might approach this.

Wishing you all the best. Big hugs.

I

1. I think almost everyone feels deep anxiety when they're going through this. It's a natural reaction. I found when chemotherapy actually started it receded slightly.  A visit to your GP would be a good idea. Don't be afraid to take antidepressants if you feel they might help. Take as much time for yourself as you can. Talk to Mcmillan about how to tell your 14 year old. I don't know if you are near a Maggie's centre. If you are, good place to go and talk to them. They can provide support and counselling.  Much live
  • Mant thanks for your advice x

• Many thanks to everyone for your advice and sharing your experiences. Best of luck with your journeys xx