Sensitive skin

• 6 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Hey has anybody got any help for my sensitive skin..since my mastectomy and reconstruction 8 weeks ago my chest has been numb and then as feeling has started to return slightly my skin on my boobs and chest is ultra sensitive...I don't wear a bra unless I'm going out as they start to irritate me after a while..but even my pyjama top is causing me irritation so much so I'm struggling to sleep..it feels like I'm wearing a hessian sack...just wondering if anybody has any ideas for easing my discomfort..tia..ps...if its just something I'm gonna have to put up with...any ideas for how long ish?.. x

• Hi Lloydy,

I had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed four months ago and start my radiotherapy next week. I’m so sorry to hear you are going through this,it must be absolute torture for you.

I know mine is slightly different to yours and of course, I would not give you any proper medical advice, but I received a booklet from my Radiologist to prepare me for my radiotherapy. In it there was some massage exercise information to help me afterwards, one was to take the centre of my palm, place it on the area and massage in a circular motion slowly. It appears that the skin does get sensitive, sore and even slightly tight after breast surgery or radiotherapy It not unusual, I did arm exercises from the day after my surgery and it really helped, only go as far as you can and do a little more each day, never overdo it. Also I was told to prepare the skin to be ready for next week and was told Baby Aveeno is fine to use, as it’s mild and not perfumed.

If I were you, I would only wear cotton next to your skin for now and I would definitely contact your breast cancer nurse or doctor, you shouldn’t have to put up with that.

Finally, I do a daily diary and find it mega helpful, it gets things off your chest and out of your system. Also, if I have difficulty getting  to sleep, I listen to a meditation podcast, I use ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith’, it really helps me. If you haven’t already please contact Macmillan 0808 808 0000 and find your nearest centre as the people there are super helpful.

I hope I have helped in some way, take care and big hugs.xx 

• Thanks for the advise...I will deffo have a look at the pod cast although last night I dis sleep but think I was just very tired lol..I have started to massage them as my physios suggested that..I had a port fitted a few days ago and I think that has sent me back a bit as my movement is tight again on that side and I can't bathe for 5 days as I've found a soak has been helping...x

• My skin is also sensitive and swore by E45 but post treatment (in my profile to save me typing!) it didn't like it anymore. I now like cerave and I love MooGoo skincare.  Both I find a little more pricey but I I feel I should look after skin more. Certainly less perfumed and more on the plain side is recommended but it's just fnding the one that suits. Perhaps see if any chemists have little trial packs x

• I had a double mastectomy nearly a year ago with immediate implants. I had a reduction in breast size so lost my nipples. I did find  it was quite sensitive for a a good few months after and even had feelings of ‘nipple freeze’ even though I had no nipples. Slightest drop on temperature I had to hold and cover my boobs to try and ease the sensations I was feeling which was causing me discomfort. Sensations such as pins and needles, sharp smash pains and irritation were pretty common for me including loads of sensation. Eventually this settled down in about 6 months. It’s all fine now a year later, though a lot of numbness still remain. 

• Oh thankyou so much for replying..I knew it couldn't just be me but its such a relief to hear somebody else lived with this...and to know its not forever is great to hear..I have no feeling around most of my boobs just around the edges..I did keep my nipples as only have small boobs to begin with but absolutely no control over them and it looks like I'm freezing most of the time lol..looking forward to it getting a bit easier...thanks again and glad to hear your now fine..x

• My own go-to for skin issues is Vitamin E oil, but when things went bad during chemo I was referred to a dermatologist who was able to prescribe a liquid soap that I am still using now. It's on prescription and it makes a huge difference even though my skin now is less sensitve than it used to be. It may be worth asking for a referral. Other than that, I'd advise using products that have no artificial scents added.