FEEL A RIGHT BERK

• 4 replies
  • 319 subscribers

So I was to have my 1st round of chemo yesterday and turned up ready with my big bag of essentials sat in the chair and the nurse who was lovely asked had I taken my steroids.....what steroids I asked...I had it in my head that I got the steroids in my drip with the anti sickness meds..but its been 3 weeks since my oncology appointment and I do remember getting a prescription for something but since then I've have had 2 physio appointments for the recovery from double mastectomy and sln removal..2 wig appointments..2 heart scans at 2 different hospitals..a blood appointment to change my anticoagulant from tablet to injections which I now have to do every morning..a bloods appointment for my chemo and a port fitted again at different hospitals...I wouldn't mind but the chemo department rang me the day before my appointment to check if I was still OK to come and they never mentioned anything...I can't believe I forgot about the steroids..anyway its now been moved to weds at a different hospital which is not ideal but it is my own fault...feel like I need a personal assistant for everything I have to remember even tho most things are in my phone lol..anyway I just feel a right berk and felt like a rant..

• Ok I’m saying that is NOT on you!

they totally should have reminded you!!

ok Wednesday it is!! Good luck 

• Totally not your fault,  don't beat yourself up, you have a lot going on,  it happened to me too, supposed to take the aprepitant an hour before chemo , and did not remember, however as I was having cold cap , and this needs 30 mins before chemo , they gave me tablet and let me wait the extra half hour..as for why they didn't put in a drip , I wonder why not. I think they should remind you of these things , my appointment dat before chemo and they didn't say anything to me either. I actually said to them on day that perhaps a prompt would gave been welcome, and was told quite ungraciously,  its my responsibility to remember.  Shock!!

• Definitely not your fault! I was given the steroids by the hospital not just the prescription, they should’ve reminded you when they checked your bloods x

• Hi, I felt like I needed a project manager to help with all the various appointments and treatments so it's absolutely understandable that you've missed the message on steroids before your first treatment.  There is a lot to take in and I agree with others in that the team should have reminded you, I know mine certainly did and I was grateful for that.

Best of luck with the chemo when it starts next week. 

Community Champion badge