Hair dye after chemo and radiotherapy - any experiences on timescales?

• 3 replies
  • 318 subscribers

Hi. I finished chemo 11th may and radio 24 June. 

I've been told 3 different things regarding hair dye. I got told by cold cap trainer minimum 3 months after chemo, support on my hospital app 6 months and a nurse telling me if my hair feels strong etc then upto you. 

I  didn't lose my hair thankfully and it's not shedding anymore amd feels stronger. I'm straightening it and blowdrying it. 

Has anyone dyed there hair. If so was it OK. I had a patch test and no reaction. 

Thank you 

• Hi Tina1989 welcome to the forum and sorry that you have not had a response as yet. Do you have a hairdresser that you attend on a regular basis? They tend to be very up on these kinds of things and I didnt have chemo but I can tell you my hair took a whole year to begin to even feel normal again and even yet I get very dry scalp skin so I would seek out a reputable hairdresser and ask them for advice.

gail

Community Champion Badge

• I did loose my hair but coloured it after about 4.5 months, we used a semi permanent colour as it’s less harsh and I’ve had absolutely no issues at all x

• I think talking to your hairdresser is the best idea. Daughter did lose all her hair but it had started to grow back before chemo was finished. That was now four months ago. She's had surgery and radiotherapy, now back on chemo but no hair loss with current drugs. Hair now not quite an inch long. Hairdresser is trimming to give it shape but says it's not yet ready for a colour, possibly another month or two. Good luck!