All lymph nodes under arms removed

• 5 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Hi I had a mastectomy 20 years ago with full lymph node removal.  Just had another mastectomy with full lymph nodes removed.  Can anyone tell me how you have covid jabs, blood tests taken in this situation.  Thanks.

1. Hi Audrey's welcome to the forum..An interesting question and not one I have an answer to unfortunately but if you wanted to post again in ask the nurse thread they may be able to give you some advice on that one. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, I have to have blood taken (and quite a lot of it) every three months as part of a research trial. My first mastectomy involved lymph node removal. My second (left side) mastectomy did not. However, I am very difficult to take blood from, and my left side is worse. The hospital would be happy to take blood from my right side (with the lymph removal) as the veins are better on that side. But the only thing that stops them is that I have mild swelling (lymphodoema) in that arm (and especially in the armpit area). If I did not have that, they would use my right arm. 
    Covid and other jabs can be given in the thigh. Nurses are familiar with that, and it’s not an unusual thing to do, not just for people who have had breast cancer. I have had my blood pressure taken on my leg (immediately post surgery). They can also take blood from other areas, but I have been told that if there is no active lymphodoema, they can use your arm. Several doctors and phlebotomists have told me that there is a new school of thought on this nowadays.

Hope that’s helpful. 

• Hi  ,

I had bilateral lymph node removal for ca in both breasts 15 years ago. I was really anxious at first but have found ways round it. I have BP taken on arm, and ask they don’t do it too often or have the cuff unnecessarily tight. The electric sphygmomanometers can go rogue. It is better if they use the old fashioned way. BP taken on the leg is misleading. It reads 20 points above normal. I have bloods taken on the arm, but make sure the person blood letting is experienced. I always warn them to be careful and make sure I press on the area for a long time. I have injections in my leg. You may find that the person doing it is not trained to do it( sounds silly to me!) and they may make a fuss. I usually warn them well in advance , I.e. on entry to the pharmacy/covid centre. Avoids unnecessary stress.You will find that no one understands , even nurses and doctors, and you have to be really assertive. In hospital I have had to have drips, and asked them to use a vein on the back of my hand, so any swelling is there and not further up.When I had iv feeding(after bowel cancer)I asked for a central line and they gave me a Hickman which was great.Only problem was none of the nurses knew how to use it! We got by.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions just ask xx

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

• Hi thank you so much for your reply. I had a haematoma the day after my mastectomy and they put a cannula in my right arm after having difficulty finding a vein.  I think there was 6 different people trying to put a cannula in.  Was very worried as this arm hadn’t been used for 20 years.  I haven’t had a problem since so maybe they will continue on that arm.  I feel a bit more confident now, thank you. xx

• Hi thank you so much for your reply, I feel more confident now regarding using my arm and will do as advised regarding Covid jabs, etc.  Thank you.xx