Mum awaiting biopsy results

• 2 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hello.

I am new here. My mum, 57, went in for a routine mammogram yesterday and ended up having a biopsy taken and was called back today for a stereotactic biopsy. She doesn't get her biopsy results until Friday 31st, so as you can imagine, we're all going out of our minds. She didn't feel any lumps or anything wrong, but the doctor I think said the lump looks to be about 8cm. I should probably stop looking things up online cos we don't and won't know anything for a while, but I just don't know what to do with myself. I am in the middle of university exams and am finding it hard to think about anything but what's going to happen to her. And I don't know how to support her through this. 

All I've seen is statistic after statistic. Any tips on how to survive the waiting period and how to support my Mum?

• Hi cowslip34878,

I had a lumpectomy just over a month ago and two lymph nodes removed. It is a shock when you, your Mum and your family are told, but it is important you take a bit of time to register what is happening and to let things sink in. I was the same as your Mum, waited three weeks for results and it was stage 1 and I am now awaiting radiotherapy, which is normal after this surgery.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also you Mum needs to visit her nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here or call 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and tell, her to try and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. She may also find it helpful to listen to a meditation podcast, these really help you to relax, especially when you can’t sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith - it’s really good.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity and whatever you do, keep away from Doctor Google, it’s nightmarish and does you no good, stick to Macmillan, they are the experts and having them on board helping Mum, will also help you with your university studies.

I applaud you and give you all due respect, for coming onto this site in order to help your Mum, for a 20 year old that’s amazing - you are an absolute credit to her and your family.

You and your lovely Mum are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care, my very best wishes to your Mum,love  big hugs.xxx

• Hello . Im 56 , was diagnosed early March and I start radiotherapy today .

have a 23 year old daughter who is going through uni exams at the minute . She was your age when her nanna was poorly , so I understand how emotional it is for you .,

I’d like to 2nd BB to say that I think what a breve young man you are to come on here and ask for advice . Yoir mum would be so proud of you .

The unknown is the worst, don’t google and 2nd guess what the results are . You will all have more certainty on 31st .

There is lots of support at Macmillan or Maggies if you have one of those near you ? 

Look after yourself as well as your mum . Fresh air is good , that’s what I tell my daughter . She’s running a race for life in June , although possibly not done as much training as she should ! Xx