Tissue expanders

• 5 replies
  • 311 subscribers

Hi all, 

Please could anyone tell me if you have had tissue expanders inserted and how have you found it? 

Did you have a permanent one or have them taken out and have them replaced by implants later? 

Did you have a double mastectomy or single? 

Atm I'm waiting for my treatment plan and next steps but I'm looking at all options so I am mentally prepared.

Thanks in advance. 

Stay well and sending you all love Heart 

Sarah xx

• Hi Sarah2 welcome to the forum. I dont know enough about your query but Im sure some of the other lovely folks on here may have some thoughts or could share their choices with you and maybe why they went the route that they did. Hope all goes well for you and we will be thinking of you.  Sending some hugs your way for now.xx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Gail, 

Xx

• I had a single mastectomy and have a tissue expander.  I have had it nearly 5 years never had a problem.  Once it was put in I had to go and have it expanded. The original plan was to have it expanded then my other breast reduced to match it has I had large breasts. But due to covid never was recalled for the reduction due to the backlogs now have a large natural breast and a small reconstructed breast and need to wear a prosthetic.  Due to the time past now do not think I will bother with the reduction. 

• Hi Sarah,

I hope you're dealing with your diagnosis and the myriad of options being thrown at you right now. For me, that was the most stressful time, choosing what to do! I'm still not sure I made right choice.

I had a single, skin sparing but nipple sacrificing mastectomy on 15 April with immediate reconstruction using permanent tissue expander implant.

I'm 3 1/2 weeks into recovery, and not had any complications so far. It has however been incredibly painful at times and generally as uncomfortable as my surgeon warned me it would be.

I'm due to have my first fill of saline in 2 weeks time. In terms of the aesthetic I can envision that it will become a more pleasing and subtle match for my other breast over time, but I will probably still need Asymmetry surgery at some point.

It is still very hard , like having a rock sewn into my chest , and I get vice like compression of my chest .I'm really hoping this will settle down, as I'm a very active person, prior to surgery walking 10-20 miles a day  for my job as dog walker and loved my yoga.

I have yet to connect with many people who've had these implants long term, so hard to give you a more general picture.

Wishing you all the best with your surgery and treatment xx

• Hi, thank you so much for responding and sharing your experiences.  Yes, it's a horrible time and I get so confused with what's right for me. Have changed my mind a couple of times too. 

I'm sorry you've been through so much and I hope things start to settle soon for you. 

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery Heart

Sarah x