Feeling hopeless.

• 9 replies
  • 309 subscribers

Hi I'm new here and needing help, advice or just someone to talk to. I had breast cancer in 2019 then it came back again in 2022 I've had radiotherapy, chemotherapy, plus countless surgery and still waiting on two more to complete reconstructive Surgery. Early this year I found a lump in my left breast which was breast tissue but this then gave me ptsd, I'm writing this because there's no help for after cancer I've lost myself the person who I was before has gone I hate my scare the way my body now looks I don't go out I'm tried all the time I'm really mentally struggling and finding it hard to come to terms with actually having cancer and getting through it and now I'm lost.

• Hi MagsA, 

• I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer five weeks ago and had a lumpectomy last week. I know what you are going through is slightly different, but the scariness and anxieties are just the same. Please don’t think there is no help, first of all get in touch with a Macmillan centre near you, these people do amazing work and can give you all sorts of helpful information, go on walks, do crafts and sit down yoga to name but a few, which is is all good for your frame of mind, they are with you before, during and after your diagnosis, do reach out to them, you can find your nearest one on the Macmillan site.
      I am also doing a daily diary and this is mega helpful, just writing down how you feel each day, is getting it off your chest and is like a weight lifted off of you. 
      I listen to a meditation podcast most days, this is really calming and helps a lot. Also having a good support structure helps, family friends or good work colleagues who can offer to give you lifts, do shopping or just meet for coffee.
    • Please, please, don’t ever think your scar is ugly and that it makes you ugly, you are the same wonderful person you were before, just going through a traumatic time. Be kind to yourself and even treat yourself a little. Get out in the sun, I take a walk for an hour or so each day, it really helps, you have already taken a big step by coming on here, so please chat with me or anyone here at anytime, we are all to a certain extent in the same boat.
    • We’re  all together in this fight - take care and here’s a huge hug Hugging 
  • Hi MagsA

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you are struggling after having breast cancer twice. Like you I was diagnosed with breast cancer twice. The first time was in September 2020 in my left breast at the height of the  COVID pandemic.  The second time I was diagnosed with breast cancer was in April 2023 in my right breast.  It was a struggle at times but I got through it and though it doesn’t feel like it at the moment things will get better. Take things a day at a time and don’t be afraid to have a good cry and a rant about what you’ve been through.

Wishing you the best of luck with everything.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for your lovely message I'm better at listening and helping more then the other way round of you ever need to talk I'm here. Gonna definitely try and wrk on myself.

• Thank you for your kind words and advice. I'm here for you too.

• Thank you so much fir your message I've always been the friend to listen and help very much out of my comfort zone but your right this is the first step.

• Hello and welcome. Nothing ever really prepares you for life after a cancer diagnosis and I totally get what you are going through.

I was listening to Dr Liz Oreadon this morning and she had a guest presenter who said something that I really needed to hear today.  She said “you are more than your breasts, you are more than your hair and your scars are a reminder that you are still here”  Yes sometimes I look in the mirror at my breasts and I don’t like what I see but I’m grateful that I’m still here.

As mentioned the McMillan helpline could help you look into support that might be available in your area. Also via your GP you could request for a referral for talking therapy although I believe waiting times are quite lengthy at the moment.  Best wishes.

• Macmillan offer 6 sessions of therapy .

• Thank you so much for your message. With me its very hard to explain I'm very grateful to still be here I have a beautiful child that I'm still seeing grow and I'm thankful but I'm also mad and hate my body at the same time and I'm even mad for feeling this way when it could be ten times worse. Yes got though radiotherapy chemotherapy surgery sepsis, but mentally I haven't. My doctor was the one who told me to try as the waiting list is so long she also told me that there's is little help for after cancer and this is were I am. 

• Thank you again gonna look in it.