Abemaciclib

• 4 replies
  • 308 subscribers

Hi, I’ve just started this medication today, anyone lost their hair with this and if so how long after starting the medication did it happen? Any other nasty side effects? I know there’s millions but just wanted to know from the people rather than a piece of paper.

• Hi, I've done 20 cycles of Abemaciclib, so nearly at the end. For me the main side effects have been

Fatigue

Hair thinning & slow growth

Damage to nails 

Diarrhoea & issues with certain food types. I follow a low fibre diet

It's a long slog, blood tests every 28 days etc

There are a few threads on this site if you search, lots of different experiences. 

Wishing you all the best x

• Thanks so much for your response. My hair is still really short after regrowth so I’ll just keep it short if it’s going to go thin, probably just shave it off rather than have it thinning. I had no idea it was oral chemo until I was actually given the medication and there was bright yellow sticker on it stating so. I also wondered on why they gave me another chemo card.

good luck with your last few rounds x

• Thank you, I am looking forward to the side effects subsiding lol

If you research the drug it says it isn't chemo, but it does have similar side effects - low white blood cell count etc. I have also found some of the staff at hospital refer to it as oral chemo too.

The side effects seen to vary like many drugs, from person to person, they tell me I've tolerated it well. I have just had a dose reduction as I was struggling with fatigue & coming to the end of the 24 months

I hope you get on OK, as I mentioned there is a lot of feedback on this site you may find useful 

Best wishes x