Bra for radiotherapy

• 9 replies
  • 311 subscribers

Hi everyone, I’ve been told I’ll need a moulded bra before RT breast. Also told it will be embarrassing as hands on. Has anyone had this who can share their experience. I can’t find anything about it. Thank you

• Hi Pool welcome to the forum . As far as i am aware you do not wear a bra when you are having breast radiotherapy. Its best not to wear an underwire bra as this can be quite uncomfortable to wear throughout but out-with the treatments if that makes sense. It is I suppose embarassing because you will be unclothed on your top half to be placed on the machine to deliver the radiotherapy and staff will be in the room . I hope thats what you were asking and that I havent gone off on a tangent.   

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  , I’m not sure but I think I’ve seen mention here before of some people having a radiotherapy mould or ‘shell’ which is custom made and keeps your breasts in position for radiotherapy. That’s all I can think of! As  says, I’ve not heard of anyone wearing an actual bra for it. In my case, I went into the treatment room in my clothes, then took off everything on my top (there was a chair for my stuff) before getting on the chair thing for the radiotherapy session. Maybe that’s when they would place the mould/ shell on you? I didn’t have one, just lay there with arms in the air. They did move my breast into position as necessary, and had to come back to reposition sometimes, to make sure everything was properly lined up. I wouldn’t say it’s a lovely experience but the actual sessions were quick. I think the positioning is very important to make sure the right bits are zapped. Maybe the mould/shell (if that is what is being proposed) keeps it all in place so maybe less manual adjusting? Do phone to ask if you’re unsure and it’s worrying you. It’s all very anxiety causing so much nicer to know what’s in store. You could also post your question in the Ask a nurse section? Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hhm. I start radiotherapy on Thursday and no one said anything about this. I was topless for the CT scan and presumed it would be similar. A crop top was mentioned in the documentation for afterwards. My bust is small, maybe if you have a large bust they use a mould? 

• Hi  , could be…. I’m small breasted and had no mould, it was just like for the CT scan ie topless. I wore a soft front opening bra to begin  with but swapped to a crop top for the last week or so as it was more comfy and easy to remove. I had 3 weeks as that was the norm 5 years ago. Good luck with it all xx

HappyFeet1 xx
  • Thank you for responding. I struggle to pull crop tops on over my head. I've some vests with elastic support but they are tight to get on. I might just go braless for the drive home and wear a t-shirt and hoody/fleece! I'm having 5 sessions so I'm hoping to escape any severe side effects. X

• I was struggling with putting anything over my head too at that stage - I stepped into the crop top and shuffled it up! Then at the radiotherapy session I just pulled it down to my waist for the treatment, and (gently) pulled it up again afterwards. I felt I needed some support but I think others here have gone bra less. Yes the 5 day regime does seem less harsh I think. It’s amazing how things move on, even in just a few years. Xx

HappyFeet1 xx
  • Thank you for your reply. I’m told they will mould something to me that I will wear throughout treatment. I just can’t find any information on this. I’ll find out later this week. I just prefer to know what to expect. Thank you for your help x

• I went to the set up appt yesterday, staff were lovely. Turns out I didn’t need the mould. I just felt very vulnerable but nearly there. It turns out they don’t need to use tattoos and offered to move my appt nearer to RT to avoid these. Decided to go ahead any way. Thanks everyone for support. Good luck everyone. xx

• Hi, I am a G cup, and there was a short walk from the changing room to the radiotherapy room. I wore a lose strappy vest top and kept it on even when I'd removed my bra so I could walk to the R/T room with a bit of dignity and then I just slipped down the straps for the scan itself.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge