Feel like lumpectomy site has changed - Help!

• 7 replies
  • 309 subscribers

Hi. To be honest I am scared.

Had Stage 2a grade 3 breast cancer, diagnosed in December 2020. Chemo, radiotherapy and lumpectomy followed. Now on letorozole, leuprorolein and ibandronic acid (pushed through menopause).

Had a couple of biopsies since as breasts showed changes. My last mammogram in January said ‘nothing of concern’.

Tonight in the shower, the site where the nipple was felt harder and I am terrified. Check them monthly and first time I noticed this.

Should I contact my breast cancer nurse or GP first? I always felt my BC nurse thinks I am paranoid.

Any advice wecome.

• Hi  , sorry to hear that you’re scared about a change in your lumpectomy site, and that you’ve felt like your BC nurse has thought you were paranoid. In your position I would contact the breast clinic rather than your GP. I have self referred to my breast clinic several times since my diagnosis. I have always felt ‘cringey’ about doing so as I’m worried that I’m fussing. But have always felt so much better once I’ve been checked out. I have hardened tissue around my lumpectomy site but so far it’s just shown as scar tissue. I’ve also had some nipple discharge a few years ago which remains a mystery re why it happened, but was investigated and nothing ominous found. Please do get it checked, I think it’s really hard to know what’s ‘normal’ after we’ve been scooped out! But any changes should be checked, it’s not being paranoid and it’s totally understandable to be concerned. Love and hugs, HFxx 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • As someone who currently has a recurrence, I’d say; do as  says, get checked out! Ignore the concern that your BCN might think you’re paranoid, just get it checked.

And I really hope it’s nothing of concern

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi

So the BCN and student both felt what I did today, breast also looks a bit red.

Nurse thinks it may be fat necrosis but as we cannot be sure she will arrange an ultrasound and if needed a biopsy.

It felt hard but with smooth edges so not sure if that is good or bad??

Have to admit I am even more anxious now…

• It’s good they’ve taken you seriously and have scheduled further testing.  Fingers crossed it comes back clear.  It’s hard to know what’s normal or not after being scooped out then radiated.  My fear is that I miss something because I don’t know what I’m looking for as it’s all bit of a lumpy mess.  

• So glad they took you seriously and are arranging for tests, at least then you’ll know. The radiologist doing ultrasound scans are really expert and will fast-refer if they feel it’s needed. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi  , glad you’ve been seen and further tests arranged. It’s all so difficult and worrying - I agree with  that my treated breast has so many lumpy areas now that it’s so hard to know what’s  ‘normal’. Just have to be vigilant, like you have been, and if any doubt get it checked out. Hope tests are soon and show nothing ominous. Remember most lumps and bumps are benign. Easy to say, though! Love and hugs, HFxx 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hello Tebb1

Had what sounds like something very similar indeed and was convinced cancer had returned. 

Found a lump near my surgery site which also felt hard with what felt like smooth, well-defined edges. It turned out to be fat necrosis with maybe a bit of fibrosis.

Fat necrosis is apparently a fairly common side effect of radiotherapy. They don't tell you about all the possible side effects of radiotherapy before you have it, maybe afraid it will put us off! 

Please do report back and let us know.