Pain after radiotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 315 subscribers

I had breast lumpectomy/sentinel node excision mid Feb and recently finished 5 fractions of radiotherapy. Info leaflets warned of tiredness - I don't think they stressed that enough, I'm utterly drained and totally useless! - and also noted possible skin redness/burn and change to breast tissue. 

I didn't see anything really about pain / discomfort in the breast and chest wall though (unless I missed it?) but I'm waking up frequently with pain/discomfort across the whole of my breast and on the chest area above and to the side.  It's difficult to describe but a mix of tight pulling sensation and sort of bruised feel, with occasional stabbing/sharp pain. 

I'm using moogoo udder cream to moisturise and aloe vera to sooth the skin, but the discomfort seems to be below skin level. 

Is this something normal and how long before it stops?

Thank you 

• Hi Shiz

So sorry to hear that you are in discomfort and pain after radiotherapy.

I also had a lumpectomy in January and completed 10 days of radiotherapy last week.

I am also having pains in the left breast where the tumour was removed just as you described. Sometimes at night the area gets so hot like a radiator!

I had a follow up call from the radiotherapy team yesterday and they did confirm that this was "normal side effects of radiotherapy" and the pain is caused by the tissues nerve endings repairing themselves.... Apparently this could last for up to 6 weeks and they advised me to take paracetamol /iboprofen to relief the pain! They advised if it doesn't ease the pain, to contact my BCN to see if they will prescribe a stronger painkiller.

I am managing with para/iboprofen and also using a Poly Men Non-Adhesive Pad that was given to me by the radiotherapy team on completion of my treatment. You wet the pad with a few drops of water and apply it to the area. It does provide relief and soothes the breast area where you are feeling the discomfort.

Please do get in touch with your BCN or the radiotherapy team for help and advice. 

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!

Hugging xxx

• Thanks so much for taking the time to answer and although it's good to know I'm not alone and this is relatively normal, I'm sorry you are also suffering. 

I'll have a wee Google of that pad.

Have you received a Little Lifts box?

Very best wishes to you for a quick and full recovery x

• Although it's a relief to know it's something relatively normal I'm sorry you are also suffering with this, thanks so much for your reply. I'll Google the pad you have and see if that might help. 

Did you get a Little Lifts box? If you aren't treated at a partner hospital you do have to apply but they have some lovely cream and deodorant as well as a couple of really appreciated treats.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery x

1.   Although it's a relief to know it's something relatively normal I'm sorry you are also suffering with this, thanks so much for your reply. I'll Google the pad you have and see if that might help. 

Did you get a Little Lifts box? If you aren't treated at a partner hospital you do have to apply but they have some lovely cream and deodorant as well as a couple of really appreciated treats.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery x